The C100 Boomboxery built

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Over a year ago the long search for a C100F came to a conclusion. The radio below was made possible by a list of Boomboxery members, for which this radio could not have been rebuilt and restored. But for the whole last year it has sat on my shelf, waiting to be restored. It's time came this past weekend. Below is the final product of tons of hard work and countless contributions made by many others in the community.

IMG_20181015_160234.jpgIMG_20181015_160346.jpg

This odyssey started with THA_FUZ and Trippy1313 in a rare deal that can only happen between awesome Boomboxery members.

She was rough, but there have been rougher.

No lower deck door, no antenna's, no aluminum trim on the spare cassette tray or around the lower deck keys, completely covered in a fine mist of paint over spray front and back, cloudy tuner glass, none working decks, powering up, but not at full power, uneven sound from left to right.

IMG_20170716_093931.jpg

Prior to receiving the box, Trippy1313 was kind enough to straighten and paint the speaker grills, which gave me a bit of a head start. The inside was also 98% cleaned out as well, which made the process faster and more pleasurable.

The first thing I tackled was scratch building a working lower deck door THREAD HERE. This was made possible by THA_FUZ sending me a Sharp GF-777z deck door to use in the conversion.

Our member Caution sent me the aluminum trim face plates and rub on decals for them. He also included all the needed deck belts for both 1 & 2.
SuperDuper sent me the Tweeter, Mids and Mic chrome kit to restore the grills
I bought a set of factory antenna's off Maxi Brose while at the Dessau meet this past summer
And I scoured the minds of many of the UK crew with deck questions among other things.

I apologize to anyone I have left out, my brain is fried from 4 days of solid working on this thing.

I still need one mid speaker (info in parts wanted section here) and 6 case screws.

The lower deck door is now 100% functional, with release latch. You can put in a tape, close the door and push play.

The deck does play, but has a hum and hiss I need to deal with. Deck 2 works flawlessly as does line in and all radio bands.

The cassette storage tray is also 100% restored and working as it should.

The aluminum face plate was pitted pretty bad, but with much effort and time, I was able to clean it. It is at least 70% better.

Cleaning the mist of paint was a huge time consumer. Paint was in all the grills on the back of the case as well as in every crevice on the front.

Power out put was restored and this thing pounds loud and clear.

Thanks again to this awesome community for making these kind of builds possible. Really appreciate it!

DSCN40571.JPGDSCN4058.JPGDSCN4059.JPGDSCN4060.JPGDSCN4065.JPGDSCN4061.JPGDSCN4063.JPGDSCN4064.JPGDSCN4062.JPGDSCN4066.JPGDSCN4067.JPGDSCN4068.JPG

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
harry.stone1111 said:
Beautiful box you have there. Very clean looking. Caution and the members of this forum are tip top folks.
I couldn't agree more

Hisrudeness said:
Great effort there Chris. Very inspiring. That 777 door is a very plausible solution.
Thanks bro, the 777 door was a huge undertaking, but it's proof there is a solution. I will post the final part of that build, which includes the latching mechanism. Oddly enough, the gear track on the 777 door lines up almost perfectly with the gear in the C100 that slows the door when it opens. Like it was meant to be.

Mystic Traveller said:
Great job done and awesome result! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, another one saved!

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
I bow to the master restorer, that's an absolute masterpiece. Having seen him in action I know the passion, dedication and ability that Chris puts in each of his save-the-box projects.

Wonderful achievement on a most desireable unit, also thanks to the unselfish contributions of so many members. That's what this site is for, and that's why it is important to share.

This restoration is in fact a reference work for future projects of this type -- along with the many others that have already been consigned to the Boomboxery archives.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
The Boomboxery family has some of the nicest people on the planet. This makes me very happy! :cool: :hooray: :rock: :rock: :chris920:

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
We have been lucky enough to follow this on Whatsapp and see this taking shape and i don't think the amount of work that went in really sinks in till you study the pics, massive effort and very inspiring Chris. The fact that so many members here helped out is testament to the quality of the people here, i admire both you and everyone who helped out.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
This Conion look very good now.
Only back side don't look good.
Do you think to paint back case with grey spray?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
samovar said:
I bow to the master restorer, that's an absolute masterpiece. Having seen him in action I know the passion, dedication and ability that Chris puts in each of his save-the-box projects.

Wonderful achievement on a most desireable unit, also thanks to the unselfish contributions of so many members. That's what this site is for, and that's why it is important to share.

This restoration is in fact a reference work for future projects of this type -- along with the many others that have already been consigned to the Boomboxery archives.
Thank you Sal and your right, the archives of boombox repair has grown so deep. So many have been saved.

Fatdog said:
The Boomboxery family has some of the nicest people on the planet. This makes me very happy! :cool: :hooray: :rock: :rock: :chris920:
Team work gets the job done

Northerner said:
Nice work Chris, looks so much better
Thanks man

T-STER said:
We have been lucky enough to follow this on Whatsapp and see this taking shape and i don't think the amount of work that went in really sinks in till you study the pics, massive effort and very inspiring Chris. The fact that so many members here helped out is testament to the quality of the people here, i admire both you and everyone who helped out.
Thanks T, this project was almost overwhelming. I would have been happy to have just had any old C100, in any condition. But when Caution provided parts, the game was elevated!

SLO said:
It came out awesome Chris, I love the way everyone pulls together to help us restore our boxes, truly a team effort whether its questions asked, parts, or hints and tips. Great work everyone
100% brother. I was remembering all the work that went into your C100. You were the first person I knew to do the chrome kit on the tweeter grills. And your right, it's not hard, just time consuming.

goodman said:
This Conion look very good now.
Only back side don't look good.
Do you think to paint back case with grey spray?
To be honest, the back doesn't look like that in person. The camera picks up something else. I was thinking though, has anyone ever done the peroxide trick on a C100 rear case?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
I love rebuild stories like this. The crew here is fantastic!
There are some jobs you simply can't do on your own. They require the whole community!

caution said:
Fantastic work, looks great! You got the trim done!
I was going to post a thread about that and how I did it. Your schematics that came with the trim played a big roll in my success. Thank you for all you contributed to this Eric, means allot man. All your hard work that you put into the trim and the decals really brought this whole thing together.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
When you build your box versus buying it, you build more than a boombox, you build a bond. That's what makes my C100s special to me. I know them inside and out

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Transistorized said:
When you build your box versus buying it, you build more than a boombox, you build a bond. That's what makes my C100s special to me. I know them inside and out
oh yeah, something about putting in and taking out the chassis 75 freaking times that will do that :lol: :lol: :lol: