Telefunken Comparison Test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Here is a tale of two AKA's....And how 2 companies can make them look so different even though they share the same chassis.

Remember back in the 80's, when all the Chrysler K-cars shared the same chassis? Or how the Chevy Blazer was just an S10 pickup with a different body? That's how I define an AKA.....a box that shares the same "chassis" as another box.

Witness these two gems, the Telefunken CR100 and the MacDonald Instruments 06-33-63. Same dimensions, same exact back panel, same battery door, same vents, same screw holes.....everything. Well, except the MacDonald has some extra antenna leads, but all they had to do was drill some holes......it's still the same chassis.

WP_20130921_022.jpg

Now, look at the front sides.....Totally different. Not just different style, but different knobs and switches. Same tape deck though, of course. :-D

WP_20130923_025.jpg

The Telefunken has square grills and a "brushed" appearance, versus the MacDonald's chrome.

Telefunken CR100.jpg

The MacDonald is a stunner, with its chrome knobs and tape keys. :drool: Plus it's just got MORE of them....It has knobs for Mic Mixing and Manual Recording, which the Telefunken lacks.

MacDonald boombox.jpg

Here's a close-up of the Telefunken's main attraction -- that badass lighted tuner :drool:
Looks freaking SWEET at night....

Telefunken 2.jpg

The MacDonald doesn't have a tuner light, so as a consolation prize, it gives you a longer LED meter with a 3-position switch that allows you to change whether it measures VU, signal strength, or watts.......SO freaking awesome. :w00t:

MacDonald Instruments 06-33-63.jpg
WP_20130921_012.jpg

But wait, there's some MORE differences on the side......The MacDonald has more options :-O

12.4 versus 13.6.jpg

So, to summarize: The Telefunken has a badass tuner light, but the MacDonald has more features and more LED's. So now you're thinking......The MacDonald's gotta weigh more, right? WRONG....It only weighs 12.4 lbs, while the Telefunken weighs 13.6. :-O :-O Why, you ask? Well, I popped 'em open, and the Telefunken has different speakers with bigger magnets.....The amps are different too. Result? More bass.

So, whatever fits your fancy......Want more bass? More knobs? More LED's? Tuner light? Make you choice! :clap:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Ha ha! Good analogy......The Mercedes is all about performance and understated style, while the Cadillac is all about chrome and tons of useless features! :lol:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
skippy1969 said:
Great comparo!!!!!
I always wondered how these two compare.
I had the Telefunken before and it was wonderful.
Yeah ya did.
I love how the tuner dial lights up on the cr100. I stared at mine for quite some time when I got it. Excellent sounding box. Always wished it had round grills but after the side by side I think I like the square ones better. Nice job Reli.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
-GZ- said:
Yeah ya did.
I love how the tuner dial lights up on the cr100. I stared at mine for quite some time when I got it. Excellent sounding box. Always wished it had round grills but after the side by side I think I like the square ones better. Nice job Reli.
Yeah, lots of square grills look good, like the 9494, 9696, C126.... but only if they have prominent round rings behind them.

My biggest problem with square grills is that you need to look straight at them, because if you're looking at an angle, the grill washes out everything behind it.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Yeah, lots of square grills look good, like the 9494, 9696, C126.... but only if they have prominent round rings behind them.

My biggest problem with square grills is that you need to look straight at them, because if you're looking at an angle, the grill washes out everything behind it.

I'm not really a square grill fan except for the ones you mentioned and this Clairtone :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380129527.540469.jpg

Bad Boy Bill

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Reli's dead on. With the cr100 you can't see through the square grills like on the 20/20. They look too plain. Smaller holes and thicker.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Reli's dead on. With the cr100 you can't see through the square grills like on the 20/20. They look too plain. Smaller holes and thicker.

Looks more like a mesh for sure :yes:

Bad Boy Bill

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yep, mesh is harder to see through than the stuff on the 20/20

I bought a Sanyo MX650 and promptly sold it, cuz from an angle it looks lame. It only looks good dead-on, or with light pointed at it.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Great review Reli....AKA's have always been so strange to me. I guess companies could buy pre-made cases and stuff them with what ever they wanted to save on mold making costs. I have never owned a MacDonald, in my mind I thought they might be a low end box, but some of them look SO GOOD!

Like a sweet Jaguar that has the chrome in all the right places but won't start!

But this is the first time I ever saw a review this in depth.

So, are MacDonald boomers worth the price of admission?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
They seem so rare, I'm not sure what the going price is. MacDonald used to make CB radios for trucks..... Not sure why they put their name on a boombox, lol. They can't possibly have sold very many.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
Great comparison! Cool to see the differences beetween the CR-100 and the AKA.
I think the Telefunken looks a lot better - chrome is nice and great for accents, but you can never go wring with (brushed) metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.