TC-999 back from the dead

stynger007

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
The Great White North Canada
Put the unit back together tonight to test it out and still have some issues. I noticed the piezos are dead, but it's bright enough as it is. All the belts arrived and are installed, and the upper deck plays fine now except the head alignment is way off. The lower deck is seized even with new belts, so still some work to be done on that. I had to peel the old belts off some of the pulleys, and scrape and wipe a lot of crusty residue off of them.

The main board pulled off only if you detach the tuner needle, so I just taped the cord down.
I found it odd that the front lettering indicates "loudness" from 0 to 40 on the volume, but it's a basic 3-pin pot, no loudness tap :hmmm:
I pulled the function switch off but it uses butterfly style tabs, which are a beeotch to bend so I just gave it a good solid DeOxit drenching. Left alone the band and tape mode switches, and only put a drop or two of DeOxit into the volume and balance tracks with a soaked Q-Tip so I wouldn't disturb the shaft grease.

Pulled the FM mode and stereo mode switches, as well as the record bar. The upper deck's playback direction switch also came out for a clean (the pic points at the thing that switches it). I wiped them a few times with a 3000-grit Trizact polishing pad, and dabbed some DeOxit on them.

I noticed the record bar must have the spring pre-loaded into the shell before you insert the rest of it, then once it's together there is one side that has a smaller hook that lets you release it, and the only place it wants to go is back inside the case and around a post on the plastic slider. Then it's ready to go.

I have a few more pics but when I click 'post' it treats it like an edit to the previous comment, and I've already maxed out at 20 images on it. As soon as someone leaves a comment I'll post the rest of 'em.
Very late reply here, Just finished a Gold 999 and most recently, 2 126`s. When having belts on hand that fit, it`s easy to find a solution. When those belts are out , it`s posts like these in the archive that stay up to help the community. Splendid photography great work and thank you for the belt comparisons and sizing. Best to You. :thankyou:

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Yes of course, all boombox knobs slide off, but if a previous owner glued them on, using a hair dryer to soften the bond has been known to work.
If they used superglue, it may require more heat than what would melt the knobs. In that case, you may have to snap them off to get the unit open.