T-amp mod for a boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Nope. The popping sound is a function of the system design. Most amp can be designed to eliminate that pop through timing capacitors that introduces a delay before turn-on. If the design is very simple, then most likely those (extra) circuits will be left out to keep costs down. Some output modules actually incorporate pop suppression circuitry internally.

BTL isn't really new but their implementation is more a function of cost since instead of 2 amps, you need 4, and their associated components.

Putting BTL amps in the Sharp GF-777 should be doable physically since that case has a ton of space but most amps will require a higher impedance load when operated in BTL configuration instead of SE. (8 ohms instead of 4). The Sharp uses 4 ohm speakers.

Some benefits of BTL is that you can get double the signal amplitude and voltage at the outputs compared to a SE configuration which would require much higher operating voltages to produce the same output voltage/signal-amplitude. If you can imagine an audio signal that is always above ground. Then picture the same audio signal but instead of being always above ground, it alternates positive and negative. The signal is the same, but the amplitude is twice that of the prior. The caveat is that the speakers will then require a floating ground connection to speakers and the negative is NOT common (on left/right) and NOT grounded. Also, BTL amp inputs are much more immune to interference and don't require shielding, expecially if the input wires are twist tied together. That is because it's presumed any interference is picked up equally and they will cancel themselves out.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
So far, this little guy is the sweetest I've found...

http://www.stm.com/stonline/products/li ... s/1775.htm

I was hoping to stay around 15 wpc, but the low parts count on this is hard to beat. I've worked with STMicroelectronics' stuff before, and it's really price friendly. What really attracts me to this one, though, is that at low volume it acts like a single-ended configuration, then automatically goes into BTL config when you lean on the volume. Longer battery life as a biproduct, perhaps?

But is there an inexpensive way to strengthen the case to take 20 to 25 wpc? It's intriguing...

Status
Not open for further replies.