Speaker Tech 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian84corvette

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2010
im more or less a car audio guy , about my knoledge of speakers
but
I can tell you that the bass out put is somewhat related to the x max of the speaker
or its mechanical ability to move in and out.

if in the stats of a speaker - its rated for 3mm x max then it is capable of moving in and out 3mm
wich would be better for bass tones than the same size speaker with only 1.5mm x max
given that all the other specs are relatively similar.

definatley keep the spl ratings in mind tho.
the higher you can find the better - but also keeping the other specs with in your wanted range also
usable hz from 30/100 up to 6K or more and a large x max # also
it should probly be impossible to find a speaker with high ratings on everything lol.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
It's very much hit or miss, if one is using car speakers on a boombox.

Personally I would seek speakers that have:

Numbers:
Low RMS power rating (5-30W)
High SPL
Low Fs (low resonant frequency, 30-60Hz max) (or rated frequency response going as low as possible)
Low Mms (moving mass)
High X-max
High Qts

Look & feel
Very loose suspension (soft upper surround and "loose" cone)
Small/smallish magnet (probably smaller and lighter voice coil too - higher sensitivity) often small magnets are also made from better material, so they can be more powerful in comparison to big sized/weak magnets.

Forget:
Max power
Big magnet size

The original speakers are mostly 3.2 or 4 ohms, but I've never seen any detailed data of them, but I bet they have high sensitivity (SPL) too. Also the original speakers have tiny voice coils, minimal moving mass and low RMS power. The maximum power of a boombox is usually something from 2W to 15W per channel. And that's the power at 10% THD, or total harmonic distortion. Remember, distortion heats up the amp and the voice coil and in long run, will do at least some damage.

There is really not much point of using high power speakers. Those are designed to be run with higher power and possibly wont be the ideal choice. Of course some higher quality products can make a good replacement.

I would personally search for some OEM car speakers, for example speakers that are used in more high-end cars. I've seen 2ohm speakers too, that probably would be heavy hitting things in some boxes with proper amp&cooling. Those OEM speakers often have light weight cones, soft foam surrounds and RMS power rating of 10-30W. Some of them (rare) also feature a low impedance voice coils.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
Just noticed this thread. Great info & it's really impressive the way things fall together when you get Superduper & Line out showin' their skills and throwing info around... :hmmm:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
this reminds me of hoppy and smitty from sanford and son , the black to white translator , smitty simplifies what hoppy is saying , sort of like i do lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.