Sony CFS-V1 Flutter Issue

cpt.shotwell

May 31, 2022
Los Angeles
I've been restoring a Sony CFS-V1 and have got it working perfectly... almost. it's a beautiful unit and hope I can get it back to 100%, but I'm facing a flutter issue that I haven't experienced before. I can't find a service manual for the unit, not sure if it was sold outside of Japan or not, so can't consult that unfortunately.

The issue occurs as I reach the latter parts of each tape side, as it gets closer to the end there appears a noticeable amount of flutter, like everything has had some fast vibrato applied to it. i'm familiar with wow & flutter basics and have done what I can in the past to mitigate them, but haven't experienced this before where the flutter appears towards the end of a tape and gets worse till I flip it. So as the supply reel empties and the take up spool fills up, the flutter worsens. I understand any part of the transport can affect wow & flutter, but am hoping there might be some more specific areas to look at given my specific problem. Appreciate any advice! Thanks

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Could be take up torque. This can be adjusted by shortening the spring (cut a bit off) for the clutch, it's usually in the spool. I think this happens when the pinch roller is old and hard, you could replace this as well or resurface by mounting on a drill and do a burn out on sandpaper.

cpt.shotwell

May 31, 2022
Los Angeles
Could be take up torque. This can be adjusted by shortening the spring (cut a bit off) for the clutch, it's usually in the spool. I think this happens when the pinch roller is old and hard, you could replace this as well or resurface by mounting on a drill and do a burn out on sandpaper.
thanks for the reply just got another chance to work on this. are you able to help me identify that spring? here's a photo of the tape mech with the top plate removed. i''ll post a photo of the back of the mechanism too if that's where i should be looking...

Attachments

cpt.shotwell

May 31, 2022
Los Angeles
wow well... appears i've found the problem. sorta kicking myself that i didn't check this sooner. it was the counter belt. it's attached to the supply reel and it was too tight i believe, probley causing some friction/resistance to the supply reel moving properly. without the counter belt it sounds perfect. huh.

well i appreciate your advice and will keep that in mind for the future. maybe i'll source a new belt but i can totally live without a working counter