Sony CFS-99 won't rewind my tape!

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Hi all!
I just replaced the 2 drive belts on this unit and now its playing a tad slow and for some weird reason it does everything it's supposed to do except rewind!
If anyone can help out this newbie, anything will be much appreciated. Thanks! :bow:

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
*UPDATE* I cleaned the idler wheel (needed cleaning btw, yuck!) but unfortunately to no avail. I managed to adjust the speed of the motor by way of an adjustment screw (Flathead) on the back of the motor itself. So speed is on point (yippee!) but the unit still does not rewind. Looking into the cassette mechanism's gears and switches I noticed a small white gear with a tiny rubber belt around it that makes contact with the (I don't know what it's called lol) black cassette spindle gear? (refer to pics) when it goes into "Fast Forward" but does not make contact while in "Rewind". Any help will be most appreciated. InkedInked20200523_140316_LI.jpgInked1_LI.jpg

Reactions: Brutus442

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
*UPDATE*
Well I took off the metal plate that covers the other 2 (hidden) belts that I had no clue were there. Turns out that "small white gear" is supposed to engage another gear that enables the cassette to rewind. That "small white gear" is set too far back and that is a problem. Any advice on how I can move the "small white gear" forward just a little? Because as you can see in the pics, I have to wedge a small flat head screwdriver so I can "prop" the "small white gear" so it makes contact with the "small CLEAR gear" as soon as I take that flat head screwdriver out, it falls backwards a bit to the point where the gears don't make contact. Refer to pics Inked20200523_151946_LI.jpgInked20200523_151826_LI.jpgInkedInked20200523_151846_LI.jpg

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
*LAST UPDATE*
Well folks, I finally fixed the "rewind" issue! I attached pics to let you guys know where/what the issue is.
Apparently when I replaced the belts, that white little peg that's attached to the back of the larger white gear fell out of its "hole".
I pushed it back to where it belongs and VOILA! Problem solved! Just wanted to impart some of my experiences/nightmares that I've had fixing this.Inked20200523_183426_LI.jpgInked20200523_183502_LI.jpg

Reactions: Brutus442