SONY CFS-9000 deck problem

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
1.The pinch roller arm assembly axle grease gets hard and makes the arm frozen. This is the main problem with auto reverse decks. You need to remove that moving arm assembly that goes up and down to engage the pinch roller when you hit play, clean the old grease and put white lithium grease.

2. The head is supposed to rotate 180 degrees and change positions when you press play. That rotation of head also gets stuck. few drops of light machine oil can lubricate the rotation. E clips loch that pinch roller assembly on the axle. Please be careful not to lose it, or have an assorted E clip set always handy.

In the process of working on the deck check the main belts and counter belts. Slipping counter belts also cause problems. Deoxit cleaning of contacts and greasing moving parts also needs to be done.

~Royce

Last edited:

Superduper

Member (SA)
This, and other Sony autoreversing decks have an issue with the head mechanism. It reverses by means of a tiny gear situated on a pin beneath the head. This gear is made of nylon and due to age, splits losing it's grip on the pin. This causes the head to not rotate correctly, or possibly not at all. You might want to look into that. This issue has been reported by other members on this forum too. Since it's already documented with photos, you should research it on those threads.

pouppa

May 23, 2022
montreal
Did you end up fixing this one? I am having the same issue. I greased the pinch roller axles and made sure the head turns like the other suggested. Fresh new belts installed as well. Still no dice. This is driving me nuts.

sernas88

Member (SA)
Sep 20, 2018
Ireland
Did you end up fixing this one? I am having the same issue. I greased the pinch roller axles and made sure the head turns like the other suggested. Fresh new belts installed as well. Still no dice. This is driving me nuts.
Still not fixed.....

mban

Member (SA)
Aug 13, 2018
Still not fixed.....
That will be the tape sensor.
There is a sensor and a light with a 4 blade fan that pass through the beam and when the fan stops the tape mech stops.
Make sure the belt on the right tape spindle is moving the fan blades and tape counter.
If it is then you will need to resolder the wires going to the sensor board and check again.
I have repaired alot of this tape mech

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
That will be the tape sensor.
There is a sensor and a light with a 4 blade fan that pass through the beam and when the fan stops the tape mech stops.
Make sure the belt on the right tape spindle is moving the fan blades and tape counter.
If it is then you will need to resolder the wires going to the sensor board and check again.
I have repaired alot of this tape mech
Yeah it's activating auto rev due to no movement of the disc. To confirm put in auto stop mode and should stop straight away.