Sony CFS-500 Resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

djetaine

Member (SA)
May 13, 2010
Just got this box in from a 10 dollar ebay win (+ outrageous 27 dollar shipping that i didnt notice when i placed my bid)

I got the box in and everything was working as stated in the bay ad but it definitely needed some TLC.

Just got started today with fixing the dented and warped grills, a few coats of paint and primer on the grills.
Got the primer and first coat of rustoleum titanium metallic on the front fascia.
I'm not really pleased with the color that came out of the can but I think it will work once I get the red, blue and black accents in.

I'm really digging the box. Love the angled faceplate and floating tweeters. Sounds great too!

djetaine

Member (SA)
May 13, 2010
blu_fuz said:
MORE! MORE! MORE!
LOL. not much else to post for at least a few days. It's going to take another coat of titanium which I'll do tomorrow and then I'm going to tape it off and come in with the black for the speaker mounts and the red rim is going to go on with super bright red modeling paint.

I'm still clueless as to what I'm going to do about the faceplate. It's all metal and it definitely needs to be restored but I have no idea how to go about doing it.
I'm thinking of maybe making a custom stencil? Anyone have any luck stenciling words and meters on? Really wish I had a plotter to do it with. Going to take a VERY steady hand to cut out those words

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
djetaine said:
blu_fuz said:
MORE! MORE! MORE!
LOL. not much else to post for at least a few days. It's going to take another coat of titanium which I'll do tomorrow and then I'm going to tape it off and come in with the black for the speaker mounts and the red rim is going to go on with super bright red modeling paint.

I'm still clueless as to what I'm going to do about the faceplate. It's all metal and it definitely needs to be restored but I have no idea how to go about doing it.
I'm thinking of maybe making a custom stencil? Anyone have any luck stenciling words and meters on? Really wish I had a plotter to do it with. Going to take a VERY steady hand to cut out those words

If you check your local hobby shop you can find rub on lettering in a size that will work. It takes a steady hand to put them on. After applying the lettering spray a coat of clear on top and it will look factory fresh...by the way next time you want to paint a silver box try Krylon Dull Aluminum Metallic spray...it is the perfect color for silver boxes... :-D ...great job and keep those pics coming... :thumbsup:

djetaine

Member (SA)
May 13, 2010
mellymelsr said:
djetaine said:
blu_fuz said:
MORE! MORE! MORE!

If you check your local hobby shop you can find rub on lettering in a size that will work. It takes a steady hand to put them on. After applying the lettering spray a coat of clear on top and it will look factory fresh...by the way next time you want to paint a silver box try Krylon Dull Aluminum Metallic spray...it is the perfect color for silver boxes... :-D ...great job and keep those pics coming... :thumbsup:
Thanks for the tip!
Any ideas on what grit sandpaper to use between coats? I've got a couple bubbles i need to get rid of.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Oh I'm ready for the follow up on this! I love these tear down / build ups! I like those floating tweeters too! Those grills look like a tough fix, but it looks like you got it covered!

Can't wait to see more!

djetaine

Member (SA)
May 13, 2010
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Oh I'm ready for the follow up on this! I love these tear down / build ups! I like those floating tweeters too! Those grills look like a tough fix, but it looks like you got it covered!

Can't wait to see more!
The grills were definitely a pain but after putting my thinking cap on I figured out a way to get it done.
I had some 2X2 boards that I cut a small block off of. Once cut I took my router/shaper and rolled the edge on one side and left the other side at 90 degrees.

I put the grill down on a flat table and rolled out the dents alternating the rolled edge with the flat edge to adjust the angle on the raised parts. Another thing i thought of that would be good would be a wallpaper roller. Didn't happen to have one but I think that would work well, especially with larger grills.

Old school Scott said:
Nice Ebay grab, even with the postal fee.
Is that the one with the echo feature?

Cheers OSS :afro:
no echo on this one.

So turns out this color is actually amazing! It looked way too dull when it was wet but once it dried and i got the grills on there and the mask off it looks 100% (and this is just with one coat! imagine what its going to look like with a little sanding and some gloss!)

Here are a couple pics of the "finished" look before the additional coats. I took a zoomed picture so you can see the metal fleck.

w/o flash

w/ flash

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
...when I paint my boomers I do not sand in between coats... :no: ...I sand the body before painting and then apply 3-4 thin, even coats of paint (drying each coat with a hair dryer) and then apply 2-3 coats of clear. After it cures (about a week) I polish the surface for a glass smooth finish... :-D ...but if I were gonna sand between coats I would use an 800-900 grit... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.