Sony CFD-775 new pickup!

shutterguyphoto

Feb 9, 2023
Ohio, US
Hello Boombox community, just just picked up a rare gem (IMO), Sony CFD-775 from eBay. I always wanted one of these as kid, couldn't afford it, Sony was asking damn near $500 for them back in 1990. They had a nice feature set for its time, hi-speed cd-dubbing, full logic auto-reverse decks, remote control, motorized volume, 2 way bass-reflex detachable speakers, etc. Sound quality was mini-shelf system level and still blows me away.

This one has some issues, cd playback is occasional and the decks don't work (sounds like a gear issue). This one is suprisingly clean for its age, no finish peeling and most of the screen printing is still on it. Gonna try and fix the decks maybe see if a new optical pickup will get the cd player to work all the time. Takes a little bit to seek from track to track, some cd's it won't read. Some kind soul uploaded a service manual for it so I have that. For now gonna clean it up and get some paint for the grills.

6K4A2811.jpg

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Congrats.
I acquired a CFD-555 years ago.
It was missing an antenna and remote but amazingly, I was able to find both on ebay which made it complete.
A simple cleaning of the lens got the CD working and both of the cassette players worked and sounded great.
It was a really nice unit but I ended up selling it a couple of years ago.
Good luck getting yours back into shape.

Reactions: shutterguyphoto

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
VERY nice find, always wanted one of these (or even the 770) but they are almost impossible to find in Europe. Maybe the issue with the CD player is fixable by cleaning the lens from both sides (upper and lower), didn't know that this kind of deck mechanisms could have issues with gears failing. On Elektrotanya website you can find the service manual for free.
Congrats again!

Reactions: shutterguyphoto

shutterguyphoto

Feb 9, 2023
Ohio, US
In appearance there are only cosmetic marks, which are fixable.
Repairing decks and CD is a more complicated but possible.
Good luck.
Thanks, I should be able to get something accomplished with the service manual, a little research, and YouTube. I think I do need to pick up an multimeter oscilloscope for any cd pickup adjustments.

shutterguyphoto

Feb 9, 2023
Ohio, US
VERY nice find, always wanted one of these (or even the 770) but they are almost impossible to find in Europe. Maybe the issue with the CD player is fixable by cleaning the lens from both sides (upper and lower), didn't know that this kind of deck mechanisms could have issues with gears failing. On Elektrotanya website you can find the service manual for free.
Congrats again!
Thanks, I had a 770 awhile ago, forgot all about the 775 series, not even sure what the difference was except for the 775 has the gold silk screening on it vs white. I've found the 770 and 760 series have been hard to find in general. Found an original remote on eBay this morning. I'm gonna slowly take the unit apart and clean the lens area you mentioned. Yea, looking at the service manual there is gears in the cassette section disassembly. Maybe its a belt, I know when I put a cassette in and press play, it sounds like the head raises and that's it, the spindles don't turn. For FF or REV they spin for a second, sounds like gears chattering, then stop. Without a tape in the decks and you press the catches that detect a cassette and press play, the spindles do spin.

shutterguyphoto

Feb 9, 2023
Ohio, US
My wife and I bought a CFD-770 back then and yes it was just over $500.00! It was awesome and load with features.
Sadly mine fell off a shelf and broke........
I still have the original receipt, extended warranty and owners manual though.
I still couldn't get over the price on these, unheard of for boombox, more features than some mini/shelf systems. Sucks that's your took a fall. That's awesome that you still have the paperwork and manual!

Reactions: skippy1969

webbyradio

Feb 6, 2024
Phoenix
Hello Boombox community, just just picked up a rare gem (IMO), Sony CFD-775 from eBay. I always wanted one of these as kid, couldn't afford it, Sony was asking damn near $500 for them back in 1990. They had a nice feature set for its time, hi-speed cd-dubbing, full logic auto-reverse decks, remote control, motorized volume, 2 way bass-reflex detachable speakers, etc. Sound quality was mini-shelf system level and still blows me away.

This one has some issues, cd playback is occasional and the decks don't work (sounds like a gear issue). This one is suprisingly clean for its age, no finish peeling and most of the screen printing is still on it. Gonna try and fix the decks maybe see if a new optical pickup will get the cd player to work all the time. Takes a little bit to seek from track to track, some cd's it won't read. Some kind soul uploaded a service manual for it so I have that. For now gonna clean it up and get some paint for the grills.

View attachment 56600
This was the first radio I ever bought for myself. I think I had just turned 21 when I picked this up. It was pricey, but soooo worth it! Glad you got your hands on one!