Some info on broken gears cogs on the Magnavox D8443 and Aka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
What a relief! Fifteen years ago I actually had Fun using AutoCAD, nowadays its a struggle... Lets say that It got more complicated, not me getting slow'n'stupid :-)
I will gladly mail the gear to you: after spending a few weeks on restoring and re-painting Philips D8444 I "fell in love" with it!
Gear broke when I was GENTLY washing it off the goo with a paintbrush and mild detergent:

Is this going to be a problem? Hope not...
PM me your address and I will mail it on Monday.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
We had a couple people print the gear but the issue is it is a tiny bit smaller and grinds a little. Also because of this the Auto stop mechanism doesn’t work. Hopefully someone can rectify this issue.8F5A6DD1-4195-45AD-95C8-0288291EF6EE.jpegB7056A4D-8DE8-4AEC-82D6-1082DCABACF2.jpeg

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
@BADDBOYBILL: photos a bit fuzzy. Am I right that it looks like this 3D printed gear here:

I ordered these gears for Loewe Discman printed by shapeways.com. they have an option of "white strong & flexible polished" which looks like above. But if you pay an extra dollar and choose "frosted extreme detail" then the end result looks much better:

Am I right that you already have 3D model of this gear??? :-)

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
This interested me too. Is there any exist 3D model?

When people have it already printed then they have constructed failures in the drawing.

When the size not fits then it is definitely not ok. Don't know the problem but it seems I make it completely new.

I'm convinced that it then fits. All the time and then this result......nothing what I would accept.....

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Jorge said:
@BADDBOYBILL: photos a bit fuzzy. Am I right that it looks like this 3D printed gear here:

I ordered these gears for Loewe Discman printed by shapeways.com. they have an option of "white strong & flexible polished" which looks like above. But if you pay an extra dollar and choose "frosted extreme detail" then the end result looks much better:

Am I right that you already have 3D model of this gear??? :-)
I don’t have any now. Not sure what else your asking me though about your pics?

Trommelmops said:
This interested me too. Is there any exist 3D model?

When people have it already printed then they have constructed failures in the drawing.

When the size not fits then it is definitely not ok. Don't know the problem but it seems I make it completely new.

I'm convinced that it then fits. All the time and then this result......nothing what I would accept.....
Sure would be nice to get exact size.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
BADDBOYBILL, thank you! You have answered the question. If you do not have any more gears or 3D computer model of this gear then we have to model and print it again :sad:

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
These are the gears I received from eBay sellers mentioned in my prev post, the original one in the center.
L1130534.JPG
L1130531.JPG
One is 3D printed (or laser-cut?), another is molded from seemingly the same kind of soft PE as the original one. This would be my first choice (softer plastic should reduce vibration transfer?) but it would need an extra washer to make it an exact substitute. I had to choose one, so I started with the one on the Left:
L1130539.JPG
Once everything had been put back together, the noise coming from the transport in Play mode was pretty bad, so I had to cut a "locking" washer to make this new gear stay put. I used 4.0 and 1.5mm punches and 0.3mm teflon sheet:
L1130580.JPG
with washer installed, the noise got back to reasonable levels:
L1130583.JPG
0.15% of Wow&Flutter is at the same level as it was with the original gear, I mean within those few minutes before it lost its teeth:
L1130626.JPG

D8444 Resurrected, finally! :-)

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Oh, looks good.....the molded one looks nice :-)

My opinion: printed gearwheels are ok, but only when they are big enough. Have for example some on my big lathe, to reduce the noise.....

But molded is the best choice i find too..... :yes: milling is too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.