Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Mark GF-575 said:
Nice work Northerner thats gonna be a sweet looking box... :thumbsup:
Thanks! Looked like crap when I got it so anything is an improvement! :lol: Bit more work to do on it yet but not had any spare time this week :thumbsdown:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Had a spare hour this evening so connected the power cables direct to the battery terminals, disconnected the smashed switch and joined the two wires. Bunged in ten D's and hot-diggity it only bloomin works!!!!!!!! :lol: Radio works, tape plays rewinds fast forwards etc! Only had tweeters connected so no idea how it sounds and I forgot to reconnect the vu meters so haven't tested those bits yet but so far so good! :w00t: Started fabricating the missing posts using copper tubing...anyone know of a reason why copper tubing and p38 filler wouldn't work?

ledmeter

Member (SA)
Jul 22, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Hmm.., I might think that filler could be too brittle once fully cured. Also the adhesion to the interior plastic could be questionable, traces of the moulding oils are still present on the inside usually. I would clean off the surrounding area with prepsol or white spirit and use an epoxy resin to set the posts in place. Even fibreglass with setting resin. Yes that's what I'd use. :-)

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Pot of the stuff is in the post to me, in the meantime I'm carefully cutting the tubing to fit really snugly with maximum contact surface which is pretty time consuming. I've also tested the woofers and vu meter now on battery and everything is working! :thumbsup:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Well I can report that copper tubing and fibreglass filler works brilliantly! Three screw posts finished three more to go! The posts are absolutely rock solid and will hold the box together very firmly :-D

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
KA....BLEEDING....BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Listening to Public Enemy at high volume...sounds awesome!

Still got a couple of things to do to it...the power switch is a new one and needs the existing button attaching to it so it stands proud of the casing. Also got to fabricate some catches for the battery cover as its currently held on with tape! Haven't swapped the power supply over yet as I wanted to make sure it all works properly before I did.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and a special thanks to Chris/Del for the power supply and to Warren/ledmeter for very kindly sending me the last slider all the way from the other side of the world for nothing!

Love this hobby and love this forum!! :thumbsup:

ledmeter

Member (SA)
Jul 22, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
That third last picture.. made me giddy! Sooo pretty.... You've got a beautiful portable stereo there, and a good eye through the viewfinder! I love it. So silly because I already have this model but I get really jealous when I look at yours... :-D

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
ledmeter said:
That third last picture.. made me giddy! Sooo pretty.... You've got a beautiful portable stereo there, and a good eye through the viewfinder! I love it. So silly because I already have this model but I get really jealous when I look at yours... :-D
Ha ha thanks Warren! I've got a decent camera so that helps! It's taken a lot of hours but not a lot of money so I'm well chuffed with it :thumbsup: and thanks again for the slider, as you can see it fits perfectly, cheers mate! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.