Sharp QT-90 recording issue

bendera

May 4, 2021
MKE
I have a QT-90, the unit was poorly packed and damaged by USPS. There is no way to return it, so I'm trying to fix it. The last unresolved issue is when I use record mode both decks work as expected, but when I press Stop the right head mechanism is not releasing and remains stuck in top position. I can't open a lid to remove a cassette. When I disassemble a boombox, remove right cassette mechanism and turning a flywheel with a wide belt, the heads are releasing. The head block is not releasing when I'm trying to push it by a finger. Something like a spring keeps it. When I try a record mode again, I'm getting same problem. Play, forward and rewind work perfect, but when I use Record - oops! The cassette mechanism looks too complicated for me, I'm not understand how it works. Is it mechanical or electronic problem? Will new belts help me? Thanks!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
New belts are essential, so make sure all of them are functioning. According to the schematic for the QT-90, only the buttons for play, record fast-forward and rewind buttons are electronic - when you press those, you're just activating a switch. The stop, pause and eject buttons are all mechanical, using springs and levers.