Sharp GX300 - Equalizer Issue

Dancorp

Member (SA)
Apr 13, 2017
Marseille, France
Hello,
An old friend of mine, not very comfortable with the internet, is asking me for help with the equaliser on his Sharp GX-300H, which is not working at all.

Does anyone have any tips for this type of problem?

Thanks in advance

Dan

1696251545025.png

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I HAVE HAD 2 OR 3 OF THESE ALL WITH THE SAME ISSUE the sliders need flooding with contact spray and i mean lots and done a few times not just once......it fixed the issue on all 3 but when you flood the sliders working them 50 times each slider.....you need to leave the unit dry for at least 5 hours before plugging the unit in........good luck

also the speakers may need refoaming on this model some do some dont.....lets hope for the best

Last edited:
Reactions: H3NK3L

Dancorp

Member (SA)
Apr 13, 2017
Marseille, France
I HAVE HAD 2 OR 3 OF THESE ALL WITH THE SAME ISSUE the sliders need flooding with contact spray and i mean lots and done a few times not just once......it fixed the issue on all 3 but when you flood the sliders working them 50 times each slider.....you need to leave the unit dry for at least 5 hours before plugging the unit in........good luck

also the speakers may need refoaming on this model some do some dont.....lets hope for the best

Many thanks for your reply and your explanations. I'm forwarding your advice to my friend in the hope that he'll be able to put everything back in order.

Reactions: Radio raheem

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
Hello, same issue here - couldnt wrap my head around it - checked all connections, resistance values, caps,... before finding this post. Will def try this out !

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
good luck gentlemen:yes:
Thank you, think we ll need it lol - at least got the tapedeck rebelted and the speakers refoamed. Issue with right speaker (didnt notice without the foam), on low volume it cracks (headphone doesnt) ... and for some reason now the radio decided to go dead... anyways will inform here if the multiple flooding and 50 sliding thing ends up working. Really flooding them with contact cleaner (personnally leaving the lubing for when i stop flushing the lubing away lol)

Last edited:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Thank you, think we ll need it lol - at least got the tapedeck rebelted and the speakers refoamed. Issue with right speaker (didnt notice without the foam), on low volume it cracks (headphone doesnt) ... and for some reason now the radio decided to go dead... anyways will inform here if the multiple flooding and 50 sliding thing ends up working. Really flooding them with contact cleaner (personnally leaving the lubing for when i stop flushing the lubing away lol)
i sure hope this works as it worked for me on the gx300.......tuner issues i can't deal with as i am a lamer lol

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
i sure hope this works as it worked for me on the gx300.......tuner issues i can't deal with as i am a lamer lol
No worries nothing to loose...
In my experience with sharps, sound regulation issues are usually dried electrolytic caps, but that's on the gf series, bit of a classic especially when loudness or bass doesn't seem to do all that much. So we ll see.
I wouldn't have come up with doing it over and over myself anyway!

I think in the tuner something shorted... Same thing happened on a jvc 656 tuner it just stopped working... Still haven't figured that one out lol... Replaced almost everything but the AM/FM chip. As for the crackling sound in the right speaker, I first thought it was due tu it not having any surrounds, but it's the channel - but headphones out is good. Often on these things when you open them up and undo some wiring guides... Solder cracks / bad connections happen. These things are indeed ticking time bombs...

But don't you miss the feel when you get one back to life Floyd?

PS : this is a really odd bird... Technics buttons and plates and slider construction, sanyo and nec chips,... Doesn't even "feel" like a sharp, except for the speakers, and those have these 2nd class filters with coils and all... And they must have loved flipping the thing over... The locks for the speakers being on the bottom lol

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
Update : after 4 days of flooding the faders , 3 times a day, moving them 50+ times, letting dry in between : no effect whatsoever - so I m guessing that although the entire inside looked as if it had spent generations in the (long time abadonned) Adams Family House , it s not a fader /slider contact problem.
Next step : take the whole thing apart ad check for dried caps and such for the equaliser issue - and try to figure out what s happening with the right channel crackling. PS : cleaning those equaliser faders - thouroughly - has so far always done the trick on JVC and some AIWA models I had with the same issue...was worth the try though ! and thanks for the tip !