Sharp GF508 no sound at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Later I can go through the schematics and check the ICs...

I will not stop here....will pursue...

Hopefully I will figure out a way to revive this beauty!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Later I can go through the schematics and check the ICs...

I will not stop here....will pursue...

Hopefully I will figure out a way to revive this beauty!

Well I'm thinking if that's the case with the 120v used than there are other components that may have suffered before the chips. Let's hope this is the case. Good luck!!!!

Bad Boy Bill

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
Awesome job Royce!!!!!

Bad Boy Bill
Thanks Bill!

I didn't want to give up. :no: It was such a pain to find the fault! I fixed the cassette section also. :blush: Now I have Rocking GF508. A gem! :jawdrop: :thumbsup:

But I have learn Japanese now. :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Use Google translator and figure out some of it. It is mostly like my 9696.

I feel so happy! I cannot abandon such a mint unit and leave it aside and use for parts. :nonono:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Congrats, well done. :-)

Was it a power supply issue? The IC lead test for voltage showed errors....So ...I focused on IC leads and I re soldered couple of IC leads those were moving ....and everything was back on............ It was like a lost connection....

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am a very happy man..... ran across with some issues that I forgot .....to align the eject liver....oh my.... finally it is all working like new. I am so happy!
:-D :w00t: :lol:

To me there is no box that can come close to a nice working to match the performance of a 9696 0r 508...jap version!
This 508 smelled new! She was a virgin!

I adore those boxes!

My love for it starts from 1982!

It was a boombox that I used up a lot of my first salary to buy it way back then.

A nice working M70 will pee, poop and run away to hide :lol: :lol: from a 9696.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
M70 screams.................with no substance.... when a 9696 wakes up the Whole neighborhood for a

PARTY!

RELI....Over these years my ears went bad listening to Jazz........ so I could be wrong!

In my World 9696 is an undisputed King based on the size! And a Panasonic RX 5350!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Yep, the 9696 is definately loud! :-) The sound quality is also a step above the M70! Both have BTL amps pushing some good power through those speakers - the 9696 is technically more powerful but the M70 is so mids biased, the human ear still registers the M70 as similarly loud.

The 9696 is definitely a more interesting box to look at IMHO!

Congrats on a fantastic fix up job!

James.... :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Yep, the 9696 is definately loud! :-) The sound quality is also a step above the M70! Both have BTL amps pushing some good power through those speakers - the 9696 is technically more powerful but the M70 is so mids biased, the human ear still registers the M70 as similarly loud.

The 9696 is definitely a more interesting box to look at IMHO!

Congrats on a fantastic fix up job!

James.... :-)
Thanks James!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thank you Christine!

That box is like new so I couldn't leave it aside without somehow fixing it.
It looks like it came out of a new box except it don't have that blue sticker saying METAL.

I need to try to get one. Then it will be complete. :-D

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Nice job, I love my 9696, so glad you got this working.

Not to hijack the thread but mine is fully working barring one bank of the led vu (left bank) do not light up when you hit the switch and the led do not illuminate when the box is playing. I thought the board was duff so bought another one which does just the same. Any ideas?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
T-STER said:
Nice job, I love my 9696, so glad you got this working.

Not to hijack the thread but mine is fully working barring one bank of the led vu (left bank) do not light up when you hit the switch and the led do not illuminate when the box is playing. I thought the board was duff so bought another one which does just the same. Any ideas?
Not a problem bro! Please feel free! We are all here to help each other!

I would give the VU meter/tune flip switch a good cleaning with deoxit and see the outcome. That is next to the power push down switch/mic fader. That switch could be the culprit. In the worst case there is a VU meter LED on ebay for sale. Those switches can cause issues also clean the long record bar. I think that is tied up to a lot of functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.