Sharp GF speaker options 16cm

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi all
Hoping you might be able help.
I have a Sharp Gf767 just been restoring but one of the outer midrange speakers is shot.
the original is 16PB524A these are 16cm 5W norm 10W max 4 ohm. I am looking for a replacement either the same one or a pair of similar Sharp speakers. I want to stay close to original or era as possible.

other than the 767,777 anyone know what other boomboxes have the same type or similar speaker in?
I don’t mind buying a cheaper unit to pinch the speakers if I know which ones might have what I need.
Thanks

Attachments

Eddy

Member (SA)
May 20, 2009
I had one busted midrange speaker on one of my 777 s once . Put 2 GF 9797 speakers in it . Looked very sweet like this . Found a replacement some time later and made it original again.....

Reactions: Huffers

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
You're not missing anything if you just go on eBay and find a replacement speaker there's so many different six and a half inch 4 ohm that look close enough to The Originals you might as well get something nice you could even put some coaxials in there and actually gain some sound. The stock speakers in these are virtually worthless they sound okay for the job they do but I'm telling you they're not made for any kind of heavy sound. These boxes sound flatter than a pancake until you put decent speakers in them and then these boxes really come to life.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I agree with you on wanting things to look stock and so I tried to match the stock look as much as I can but if I can't then you know I do the best I can.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK

this guy has some parts. For me original is always best but that’s just my opinion and this one is kind of expensive.

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Thanks all for the comments. Yes I saw this 777 speakers on eBay and agree thought they were expensive. Will keep looking. I do like to keep the boxes original but do accept they are not as good as the stock 777 speakers. I do have a pair of 80s Sharp hifi speaker boxes coming. They have 16cm 4 ohm speakers and tweeters so will see if they are any good even as temporary. At least if I am in the right sort of era and brand I would be a bit happier. They were only £24 the pair including delivery so worth a punt at that price. If the tweeters are ok I might swap out the piezos as well.

Superduper

Member (SA)
https://www.daraz.pk/products/toyota-speaker-round-shape-6-inch-i107148161.html these will do the job £6.85 or $8.57. you dont need to spend loads of money on flash looking speakers
It’s not always about “need”, often it’s about “want”. Besides that website is in Pakistan and seems unresponsive and sluggish (at least for me). I would say 99% of the members here are from locations other than Pakistan and 99.9% probably doesn’t have a daraz account either.

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi all,
Thanks for all the feedback. Restoration complete. After trying some vintage Sharp speakers I went for the Alpine speaker upgrade. Found some new Alpines on EBay for a lot less than retail. Very happy with the results.
I did put some speaker damping felt in the back which sorted out vibration at high volume. also 3D printed some holders to make a good fit of the tweeters.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: floyd and blu_fuz

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Nice job.
These boxes have plenty of power but the factory speakers are almost useless. These boxes come alive when you put the right speakers in
I'm all for factory parts but you can save the speaker but still have better sound.

Reactions: Huffers

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
I used 2 OHM BOSE Car Woofers for the outside, 2 BOSE 2 OHM subwoofers for the Super-woofers & JVC M70 tweeters for the horns. Sound is great & coaxes out the max 45 Watts from the Hitachi IC's(11.25W x 4), same as the C-100/Clairtone 7980's. Quite balanced & has that warm bass you want without even touching the woofer controls from center while bass & treble are at about 3 oclock. Found them on eBay for a decent price. The dome sizes are a close match to the original too. =) 024.JPG