Sharp GF-A1/A2 No Sound on Cassette only

dwsiddall

Feb 15, 2023
USA
NOTE: I posted this same thing on the main page of Tech Talk before realizing there were Sub-Forums. I am not meaning to over-post or whatever.
Just trying to get it in the right place

I have both a GF-A1 and A2. They are essentially identical but the A2 has a graphic equalizer.

Unbelievably, these two machines, purchased on eBay from different people and from different states, have the same exact problem.

I get no sound playing cassettes. The radio has sound, but when I switch to cassette, the cassette mechanism operates correctly (spindles turn, pinch rollers engage, etc) but there is no sound. On both machines! This seems unbelievable to me that they both play but have no sound. I must be doing something wrong--because that seems just too coincidental.

I thought at first maybe I plugged the wire harness coming from the play-head in the wrong place, but there is only one three pronged wire harness receptacle on the PCB.

Suggestions?

NOTES/CLARIFICATION: I replaced the belts on both machines. I took them apart and cleaned them thoroughly including the play-head, erase-head and pinch roller. Everything moves, there is just no sound for the cassette. The radio produces sound normally.

I just thought of this....surely there's not some mechanism that disables playback when the machine is not put back together completely, right? I am testing it with the "face" still off, but all the connections made.

Attachments

Last edited:

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
These are great boxes I have fixed half a dozen, one even had reverse polarity on the motor It ran backwards! These can have problems with the tuner as well it's the ferrite plug that gets corroded. With this one it sounds like the Record Bar try pressing REC and Play 30 times.

PS you have a twist one one of the belts

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Buy a good contact cleaner with lubricant and spray on all rotary controls, sliders and switches. (Exclude cassette mechanism!!)
Best recommended contact cleaner is Deoxit F series.