Sharp GF-A1/A2 Belt Diagram - AND Why is PLAY/FF Stiff?

dwsiddall

Feb 15, 2023
USA
Two questions about the Sharp GF-A1 or A2 (they have the same cassette mechanism).

I have a Sharp GF-A1 and a Sharp GF-A2. They both had worn and broken belts so I couldn't see how the belts went on. It seemed pretty obvious as the motor has a double slot spindle (see attached pic) so it seemed like one belt would go on one obvious wheel and one on the other obvious wheel (see attached pic). I tried this and the REW worked fine, but PLAY and FF moved really slowly.

NOW...when trying to turn the right hand cassette spindle by hand....it's SUPER stiff....really hard to turn. But the left spindle (REW) turns freely and easily. Does the right spindle have a braking mechanism?

The weird thing is that it's the exact same on both units. This seems like there must be something I am not understanding about how these work because that's astronomically improbable. I must be doing something wrong.

Also, as I'm putting it all back together, is there a spring or anything that I have to address to make sure the cassette door works.....as I took it apart it seemed like there was resistance in that area....

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
To test if it's a brake issue, you can manually push the carriage up that the heads are on.
That should release any brake and you can try turning the play/ff spindle.
Sometimes the belt pulleys move when going into certain modes.
It's possible these pulleys move and your belts are too tight.
I've never had either of these so it's just a guess on my part.

dwsiddall

Feb 15, 2023
USA
[SOLVED]

Turns out the astronomical impossibility WAS what was wrong, they both had a gear that had dried up and needed oil. Everything turns FREELY now.

BUT....now I get no sound playing cassettes. The radio has sound, but when I switch to cassette, it play (wheels turn, pich roller engages, etc) there is no sound.

Suggestions?

PS: I am also creating a new thread for this since it is a different problem than is described in the TITLE.