Sharp GF-6060 Cassette Player sounds dull/ flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tec9

Member (SA)
Hey all-
I bought this box last week, and the radio sounds good, but the tape player sounds very dull. The sound quality is very flat. I tried swabbing the head of the cassette player, but it didn't seem to help, and other suggestions?
-Mark

Fatdog

Staff member
Try demagnetizing the head. Also check the head alignment. You should see one or two small screws beneath the head for adjusting.

tec9

Member (SA)
I guess I'll try demagnatizing the head, before I do anything else. Do the demagnatizers that look like a cassette actually work?? Or should I get a handheld type?
-Mark

Fatdog

Staff member
I have a TDK HD-30 cassette-type demagnetizer and it works beautifully. The battery lasts forever in that thing too. Check your PM for a link.

45player

Member (SA)
Something to look at here- There is a transistor in the power supply board that is used only when the unit is in the tape position. The B+ voltage does not get to the required level when this transistor is bad, so the sound quality will be suffering. It is a TO-220 cased transistor, used as a series pass regulator, but I do not have a manual for this- I only remember it from my days at a Sharp service depot for 14 years.

beverlyjean2

Member (SA)
]Playback head out of adjustment. Look at playback head positioned in center of tape path. On each side of this head is a flange w/ a tiny phllips head screw. Under one of these flanges will be seen, a very small spring. This is the screw you want to adjust. Using a high quality pre-recorded tape, press play and while turnintg this screw a 1/4 turn or so in both directions you will hear the sound get duller or brighter ie: more highs. Do not turn more than needed to restore high freq. response.

Status
Not open for further replies.