Sanyo M9998LU : Restoration and modifications (eventually) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugpat

Member (SA)
Hi all,
I finished my led mod just after Xmas and it works pefectly :clap:
I bought a little relay module (and another one for the M70), wired its trigger switch socket to the M9998 light switch after having removed the original light wires and wired 5 green leds (and a resistor) in serial (1 led for each vu-meter, 2 for the radio indicator and one bigger to replace of the original bulb).
By the way I removed the other bulb in the cassette trap, and installed a blue led instead of, and a second one to illuminate the tape counter.
This box is really not so hard to work on, you just have to be carreful to tie the wires so as not to pinch one when putting back the deck or the back cover : Thinking I had finished it, I discovered that everything was working, except that it was recording only on one channel !!! :bang:
So I dismantled it again, and found that I had pinched a wire and this was shorting the left channel when recording... Fixed now ! :-D

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
bugpat said:
Hi all,
I finished my led mod just after Xmas and it works pefectly :clap:
I bought a little relay module (and another one for the M70), wired its trigger switch socket to the M9998 light switch after having removed the original light wires and wired 5 green leds (and a resistor) in serial (1 led for each vu-meter, 2 for the radio indicator and one bigger to replace of the original bulb).
By the way I removed the other bulb in the cassette trap, and installed a blue leds instead of, and a second one to illuminate the tape counter.
This box is really not so hard to work on, you just have to be carreful to tie the wires so as not to pinch one when putting back the deck or the back cover : Thinking I had finished it, I discovered that everything was working, except that it was recording only on one channel !!! :bang:
So I dismantled it again, and found that I had pinched a wire and this was shorting the left channel when recording... Fixed now ! :-D
Show a close up picture of that wire you pinched!

bugpat

Member (SA)
Thanks for your appreciation guys :yes:
BoomboxLover48 said:
I have question for you. One of my 9998 stops in a few seconds. Auto stop engages within seconds. Any thoughts on this problem? I suffered enough .for that reason I opened and closed the box more than 6 times... I was unable to locate the real cause
Ooops, didn't see your question ! Maybe a belt issue ? Too loose, or too tight ? But I'm sure you already checked that, so I don't know..
BoomboxLover48 said:
Here it is :

This brown wire. 2 wires are inside it, ground and signal, and when pinched (hardly :lol:) they shorted together... This wire was the left record channel, so I guess the grey one is the right record channel...

Oh, and I didn't explain how is working the little relay module I used to switch the leds on and off : Press the momentary trigger switch = relay switch on, press it again = off...

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
bugpat said:
Thanks for your appreciation guys :yes:
I have question for you. One of my 9998 stops in a few seconds. Auto stop engages within seconds. Any thoughts on this problem? I suffered enough .for that reason I opened and closed the box more than 6 times... I was unable to locate the real cause
Ooops, didn't see your question ! Maybe a belt issue ? Too loose, or too tight ? But I'm sure you already checked that, so I don't know..
BoomboxLover48 said:
Here it is :

This brown wire. 2 wires are inside it, ground and signal, and when pinched (hardly :lol:) they shorted together... This wire was the left record channel, so I guess the grey one is the right record channel...

Oh, and I didn't explain how is working the little relay module I used to switch the leds on and off : Press the momentary trigger switch = relay switch on, press it again = off...
Thanks a lot! One of mine has the same issue! This is good information!

bugpat

Member (SA)
BoomboxLover48 said:
Here it is :

This brown wire. 2 wires are inside it, ground and signal, and when pinched (hardly :lol:) they shorted together... This wire was the left record channel, so I guess the grey one is the right record
Thanks a lot! One of mine has the same issue! This is good information!
In fact there is a slot on the right side of the deck (when seeing from face) where the wires must stay, but this wire went out and was pinched between the deck and the chassis while remounting everything... So maybe the same occured with yours.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
You are so smart! :yes: :-D
Who would have thought it is a pinched wire? I was cleaning the record bar switch multiple times with no success! I need to find some time to clear this problem with one channel not recording.

bugpat

Member (SA)
BoomboxLover48 said:
You are so smart! :yes: :-D
Who would have thought it is a pinched wire? I was cleaning the record bar switch multiple times with no success! I need to find some time to clear this problem with one channel not recording.
In fact I too cleaned the record switch... As I obtained no result, I decided to clean the record potentiometer too, and while dismantled the deck again, I searched for a desoldered wire, and found that pinched one... :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.