Sansui G9000

Bloodhound

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2019
Just bought this for my son. His high school graduation present. Hope he likes it. Seller says it was found in a closet where it's been in storage for a very long time. They did connect some speakers and tested the radio. They said it sounds great. Fingers crossed! s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

just dave

Member (SA)
Oct 27, 2020
Oak Forest ILL.
Reactions: Bloodhound

Bloodhound

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2019
Wow, nice
Thanks! :)
hell can i be you're son lol
LOL... Got too many kids already! :)
I've got one too,a beast! :thumbsup:
Awesome! Got an owners manual by chance? Could use a copy.
He will be lost searching for the Touch Screen on it!

Great piece of machine. See it got a midrange tone control. Makes it more special.
Ha! Ha! He'll be ok. He's come to love vintage hifi thanks to some advice we received from Norm awhile back.
Massive heat sink on that mofo.
Agree! Pretty interesting.
Ain't that like the top of the line sansui receiver I mean these things are serious business I've owned many sansui receivers and these things are awesome.
It's not a G22000 or G33000 so I guess it's not "THE TOP" of the line but pretty damn close. I wanted to get him something he'll have all his life and cherish. I did notice the screw and plastic stip missing on the preamp/power amp switch on the side. Hopefully we can make something up and go from there. The seller bought a hoarders house and found the receiver buried in a closet. I Can't wait to see the look on his face when he gets it! :)

Eric

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Kalamazoo
Any of the Sansui G units will not disappoint. Over 160 Watts per channel 5hz -50khz at .03%. You don't see that kind of spec anymore. I own a 9000 and the 22000. The warm rich sounds and the soft yellow glow from the dial can not be beat. Congrats. Dirty pots/switches will probably be the biggest issue to watch for.

Reactions: stynger007

just dave

Member (SA)
Oct 27, 2020
Oak Forest ILL.
Thanks! :)

LOL... Got too many kids already! :)

Awesome! Got an owners manual by chance? Could use a copy.

Ha! Ha! He'll be ok. He's come to love vintage hifi thanks to some advice we received from Norm awhile back.

Agree! Pretty interesting.

It's not a G22000 or G33000 so I guess it's not "THE TOP" of the line but pretty damn close. I wanted to get him something he'll have all his life and cherish. I did notice the screw and plastic stip missing on the preamp/power amp switch on the side. Hopefully we can make something up and go from there. The seller bought a hoarders house and found the receiver buried in a closet. I Can't wait to see the look on his face when he gets it! :)
Check out hifi engine

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That G-9000 is MASSIVE and AWESOME!
Sansui G-33000 and G-22000 were the big beasts in that G series.

I have those high end SANSUI, Marantz and Pioneer old stereos in my collection. They sound the best!
Marantz 2385 is my all time fav.
A full recapping and tuning is needed for the best performance. Relays also fail with age. The good thing is that we can still get all parts for making it like new.
Be careful with those large/huge capacitors.

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Always liked Sansui ever since I visited a Crazy Eddie store back in the day NYC and decided to switch one on. All I remember was feeling the thump on my chest!! One of the sales person rushed into the display room and told me to turn it down. That was a Kodak moment!!
I remember those days! Everything sounded the best at that time. I was young also....

Bloodhound

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2019
I am happy to report it showed up today! Took me an hour to get it out of the packaging. The seller went overboard with several boxes wrapped in thick foam padding and spray foam one inside the other! Not a scratch on it and 100% intact. I did manage to hurt myself carrying it though. This thing is a beast! How much does it weigh? I mean wow! It's filthy dirty but that's OK. Can't wait to see him clean the daylights out of it. I think I'll give it to him this weekend. A bit early but I'm excited to see him freak out LOL. I'll be sure and report back and share more pics when we test it out.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
These old sansui receivers can go from 30 to 50 lb in weight. I know how powerful these are not to mention I used to plug the speaker wires in with the volume turned up I got the s*** shocked out of me a bunch of times.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sansui G9000 weighs approximately 60Lbs.
SansuiG22000 pre amp/tuner weigh like 35Lbs and Power amp another 64 Lbs making a total weight of 99Lbs.
My Denon AVR 5805 also weighs 99Lbs, which is one of the heaviest receivers in my collection.
Toroidal Power Transformers contribute to the weight.

Superduper

Member (SA)
You bought a good receiver, I couldn't have recommended a better model, except maybe the G9000db. For all practical purposes, it is the top of the line Sansui Receiver (along with the gun-metal G901db). Sure the G22000 and G33000 are higher on the totem pole but are so rare and expensive that they are more of a niche product rather than a mainstream receiver. All the vintage classic receivers are escalating in price btw which just like some grail boomboxes, are becoming "out of reach" for alot of people. Another thing is that the G9000 is a true all-in-one "receiver" unlike the other 2 which have a separated power amp, which isn't attractive in my view for displaying separately nor does it qualify them to be in the same class. The additional power gained from the 22000/33000 is unlikely to be realized by most people. In my experience, the ~160wpc receivers (this) along with the Pioneer SX-1250/1280 and Marantz 2385, Kenwood KR-9600, etc really is the "sweet" spot. More than enough power for any practical use and feature rich. There are more powerful receivers but I have never known the ~160wpc class receivers to "feel" any less powerful. I'm comparing them against say, the Pioneer SX-1980 (270wpc) and the Marantz 2500 (250wpc). The additional power might be useful in applications where less efficient speakers are used but then again, most quality speakers are of sufficient sensitivity that 160wpc is likely to blow out your eardrums before you reach near max power. I love this model, it's incandescent display is akin to watching the dancing shadows from the ripples of the water in a stainless rimmed aquarium of the same era lit by, yep, incandescent bulbs. I hope you keep it that way rather than LED'ing them like alot of people these days. The tuner glass is true glass (and not clouded plexi). The faceplate and knobs are like jewelry, and the action of the knobs and switches have smooth detents and positive action.... something that immediately asserts real quality.

Things to watch out for and I highly recommend, is that unlike low voltage devices like boomboxes, all of these vintage receivers should be immediately re-capped for reliable service. Also, the speaker output jack/terminals are cheap plastic and often breaks, the relays often fail as they are electro-mechanical and the switches and controls do need to be cleaned. The controls especially needs to be cleaned because on these high power receivers, dirty controls can literally blow your speakers if you operate them like that. I have sold many G-8000/G-9000 receivers and in my Sansui Collection, I think I still have 2 or 3 G9000/db receivers, a G901db, I think a G-8000, a boxed 9090db, and a G-8700db. Eventually all will need to be sold though, as my collecting days are over. I'm in no hurry though, they are hard to let go of, and every time I look, the price gets higher.

Congratulations, I think you will be very happy owning this receiver and you did good finding one in such good condition.

Reactions: BoomboxLover48

Bloodhound

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2019
Appreciate all the positive comments! Especially yours Norm as I hold you personally responsible for my sons obsession with vintage Hifi! LOL

I secretly plugged the unit in to see where it stands and it will need all the bulbs replaced. Only one was lit for about 2 minutes and it burned out. No LED's here. Gonna stick with the incandescent bulbs. I ordered a kit on ebay that should do the trick. Unfortunately the unit only plays on any input setting for 2-3 minutes at a time. It goes in protect mode over and over but does play in between. I stopped there. This will be a big project for us but I think we can hack it. Our skills have grown in the short time we've been in this hobby. Just not sure how to discharge the monster capacitors so we can work on it safely. We still have a lot to learn.

Assuming we can figure that out the goal will be to fully recap the beast and replace the relays. No stranger to Deoxit and cleaning controls and switches so that will be the easy part. As for the diodes that are known trouble makers I'm not sure what to do. Can't seem to find any information on which ones they are and where they are located.

I'm looking forward to seeing his face this June. He talks about owning one some day constantly so I think I made the right choice. Course the wife says he's not gonna like some old junky radio thingy from the 70's LOL.

Superduper

Member (SA)
To discharge the capacitors, just short the 2 terminals with a resistor. Don't have one? Just pick one up when you order your replacement capacitors. Don't use a very small resistor or it might spark like a short circuit. Use a larger one (I'd say at least 1k). You can even use a really large one, like a 1M Ω resistor but the larger the resistor, the longer it takes to discharge since current will drain slower. If unsure whether its fully discharged, just check with a voltmeter between the 2 cap terminals. It may never go down to zero, but you just want to make sure it's not 90v or some other high voltage, and you are probably safe to work on it if it's just a couple volts. I forget about the G9000 but you might not be able to find suitable replacements for the large filter capacitors, since not only are the purpose important, but also the appearance of the original caps. Modern capacitors are typically smaller than vintage equivalents of the same capacitance. This characteristic allows an opportunity to "rebuild" the original capacitors by "stuffing" them caps after gutting. Whole tutorials or articles have been written on how they did it, so just google about that, if it's something you might be interested in. But first check if replacements are available.

Do (1) at a time, and always note the orientation of the polarity. You don't think you'll forget but I'm telling you after 80 caps, it's easy to forget immediately after you pull it. For this reason, before I begin, I simply make a mark with sharpie on all the caps at the N (or whatever you wish to use as reference) position. After you pull, if you suddenly realize you already forgot, then look at the mark on the cap. Since all the caps were marked at N position, then you'll know which way it was oriented before you pulled it. Then before you start on the next one, clear the bench of all used caps to avoid confusion. Unlike a boombox, these receivers use high voltage and if improperly rewired or component orientation not observed, you may literally see smoke and cause substantial damage.

The protection mode issue is problematic, hopefully your cap replacement helps it, but if it doesn't, then you may need the assistance of a tech. There are people all over ebay offering repair services on these classic receivers. I'm not recommending any in particular, or even using ebay as a source at all. But I will say that usually the people that specifically offers a G-9000 rebuild service are usually very familiar with that particular receiver, which your local shop might not be. Or you can check out the guys on some of the hifi forums. I can recommend user Pacific Stereo over at tapeheads.net, as I know he does fantastic work on the top end Pioneer receivers. You can contact him over there and tell him Norm sent you if you decide you wish to investigate that path (he owns the forum over there). Forget about sending it to me though, these days, I can't even lift 1/2 a receiver much less a full one.