Sansui FX-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Fatdog said:
Freddie, Ira and others would like to know what the wattage rating is on the FX-700. :yes:

Hey Uncle Ed, don't you still have one of these? Can you answer that question before Freddie?

I had to dig deep and I may not be exactly on the mark...

The FX-700R basically came with what amounted to a DC power brick (like a PC) that had a power consumption rate of about 25-30 watts, 110/120/220/240v auto switching, and output was 6V DC somehwere between 2500-3000mA. High as Mt. Rainier yes, but allowed the unit to perform without clipping and distorting.

So without the original transformer, your RMS wattage power output (at the speaker terminal) may vary. The higher the mA rating the better your amplifier in the unit performs. This is because there is plenty of headroom n the current draw. A good example of this are the portable TV's with DC inputs. If you use one with correct voltage but a low mA rating, the picture is not as bright and you'll quickly smoke the transformer. :-D

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Very interesting stuff regarding the mA information, Freddie. :yes:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
:agree:
and , thanks

also keep in mind that mA is for whimpy little turdy boxes -
but A -- is for big powerhouse grails :-D :-D :w00t:

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Thanks guys, keep in mind as well that a powerpack nowadays could probably do the job with 1500mA (or 1.5 amps) of current and 15 watts of power given the tighter manufacturing processes and technology advancements in power supplies. :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Thanks, Jeff! Yeah, the FX-500 is quite the powerhouse and can fill a room with music quite easily.

Glad to see you back in action. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.