Sansui AU-717 & TU-717 pair for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Sansui AU-717 Integrate Amp & TU-717 Tuner for sale. $450 plus shipping. 100% working! Vintage 1978 masterpieces of Japanese solid state engineering!

Pics: http://www.pbase.com/jaetee/audio_gear

Basic specs are 85wpc, 0.025% THD, dual monoblock design. This is one of Sansui's best, most sought after integrated amp & tuner combos. These units are easy to research online.

These are going on eBay soon, thought I'd give someone here a crack at them first.

Both are 100% working now. I bought them as a pair with the amp not working. I took the amp to Ted at Audio Laboratory in Tampa and after a hefty repair bill and some patience, she's poundin' out the tunes in glorious Sansui fashion again. Ted does great work and stands behind his repairs. His repair work is to spec and he does not get creative. He does it right. The tuner has worked well since I got it and picks up FM and AM stations with wonderful, warm clarity. I only use FM wire antenna & standard AM loop antennas, nothing special.

NOTE: There is a switch on the back that separates the pre & power amp which does sometimes cause one of the channels to cut out. However, this is highly intermittent and usually only happens after incidental contact by a cable or finger when shuffling gear in and out of the system. It does not really cut out on its own and hasn't been a problem for me. I just thought I'd mention it as a precaution. The tech offered to bypass the switch altoghether, but I reasoned that if it were to happen frequently and really bug me, I could switch to disconnect the amp & preamp completely and connect them via a good quality RCA cable instead, thus bypassing effectively without changing anything. I felt it was better to leave the unit as close to 100% original condition rather than start bypassing circuits permanently.

I'm selling this now because I have my Yamaha M-50, C-45 & T-1020 separates system powering my DJ booth and just can't get away from them. Plus, they are more modular, 3 smaller pieces instead of two larger ones. The C-45 has a couple more inputs than this Sansui, and the power meters on the Yamaha just look cool. But the Sansui is a great looker, too!

Both sets of components sound good in their own special way. I think the Yamaha sounds more natural while the Sanusi has a more delicate, classic warmth. My turntables are plugged into a DJ mixer, so I can't comment on the differences between the phono stages. I would imagine that the Sansui would probably win that battle vs. the Yamaha, but that's so subjective anway...

The outstanding Sansui tuner blows the very decent Yamaha tuner completely out of the water. It's really no contest. Using same antenna & same location in the house, the Sansui gives better sound with less signal. It picks up considerably more stations than the Yamaha and is a dream to look at. However, I hardly ever listen to the radio, so I don't really care about that too much. I can live with the Yamaha for the two or three radio stations I do occasionally listen to.

Another reason I am selling is because I have another, albeit less desirable, Sanusi AU-D77X that is powering my computer speakers and available for me as a backup in case something goes wrong in the DJ booth system. My living room system has a bottom of the line Onkyo surround receiver that does well enough for movies, TV and the little bit of music that gets played in the living room. I do have a surround system going out there, so that eliminates the AU-717 from pulling duty out there.

Bottom line, I don't need these two components. They are taking up valuable space and I could use the money to go back into the household.

PM me if you're interested. We'll sort out shipping options then...

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
i would highly recommend if someone has the cash to grab these.
thats one of the best tuners you are ever going to hear and that amp is a really really fantastic amp. those 85 watts per c will drop your jaw.
if i had the cash i would be all over this beacause it truly is incredible.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
These are not necessarily "rare" per se, but I do think they are rare in this condition - fully working & good cosmetics & as a pair.

They are special pieces for sure, and I think my price is very fair.

As I sit here and throw a glance at them, I am trying to talk myself out of selling them.

I'm kinda at the point with these where I will not sell them unless I know who they're going to. I'd prefer not to ship them, just to eliminate the risk of damage.

I'm offering here and on http://www.tapeheads.net to see if there is any interest... I kinda decided to avoid ebay because if I list them there I know they'll sell to some anonymous person, be gone forever, and I'll have deal with shipping these beasts!

My next step will be to wait a few weeks and then list on Craigslist... And if that doesn't work and nobody wants to pay my price, I'll wire this pair back into the DJ booth and sell off the Yamaha set as separates instead.

Unlike the Yamaha parts, I think these two Sansui components are at a point in their life where they will both appreciate in value over time.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Man, that's a nice set! :drool: And it's exactly what I need for my recently acquired Sansui SP-7500X speakers, which are rated at 85W. I wish I had the money to drop on it. :-/

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Master Z said:
very nice!
Did you replace it with something or have a backup unit?
Selling because I simply have too much gear. I have three amps running in the house already. I explain in more detail about half way through my original post. but will elaborate even more...

At the time I bought this amp & tuner, I only had the Yamaha M-50 power amp hooked up in my DJ booth. I decided I wanted either an integrated amp or to add a control amp so I'd have more inputs and outputs. I have 2 Nakamichi tape decks, a reel to reel, a CD recorder, and a HiFi VHS that I use for recordings and playback... The more inputs & outputs, the merrier.

Anyway, I was all set to move this amp into my system after it was repaired, but then I stumbled across a Yamaha C-45 preamp on craigslist for only $25, which fulfills my need for inputs and outputs even better. It has at least one or two more than this Sansui.

If the decision were based purely on sound and future value, I'd probably keep the Sansui and sell the Yamaha gear instead. But the Yamaha gear gets the job done very nicely as well.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
I can personally say that I have listened to this Sansui model and it is clean power. I have been to JT's place several times and each time I can tell and hear the quality.

I'm not saying this to help my buddy JT but to simply say that both units are solid and well built.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
ford93 said:
I can personally say that I have listened to this Sansui model and it is clean power. I have been to JT's place several times and each time I can tell and hear the quality.

I'm not saying this to help my buddy JT but to simply say that both units are solid and well built.
Thanks, Juan... I wasn't going to bring you in to testify, but glad you did.... These are great pieces.

...AND THEY CAN BE YOURS, FOR THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF $450......! :w00t: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.