RX-DT75 vs RX-ED90

CTRob84

Jun 13, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Hello!

Does anyone know how these units compare in terms of sound quality? I know the DT75 has a 4.6 pds bi-amp system but I can't seem to find any literature to compare what setup the ED90 has. Can anyone confirm setup the ED90 uses?

Also what unit sounds better? I know the ED90 has the sound virtualiser technology but is that more of a gimic?

Thanks!

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
have both don't really like the sound of either....the dt707 would be the one to get....better than both of the others

CTRob84

Jun 13, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
The CD drive on my ED90 doesn't spin. After taking the drive apart I can see the laser mechanism works fine but the motor that spins the CD doesn't move. Does anyone know if the motor can be replaced or is it easier to replace the whole laser assembly? Is the assembly shared between other models does anyone know?

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bumping this to see if anyone has thoughts or ideas on resurrecting a cd player .
One of my Denon 5 disc player was not working and later found a small belt going bad was the issue. I would check if belts for that CD player is going bad. iI've never opened up my DT 95, so don't know much about the interior details.

Reactions: CTRob84

AlexB

Dec 19, 2022
World
The CD drive on my ED90 doesn't spin. After taking the drive apart I can see the laser mechanism works fine but the motor that spins the CD doesn't move. Does anyone know if the motor can be replaced or is it easier to replace the whole laser assembly? Is the assembly shared between other models does anyone know?
ED90 uses RAE0150Z compact disc mechanism. From what I saw in the service manual, it looks quite like the RAE0113Z mechanism which is used by RX-DT07 and RX-DT75, which I both own. But there must be differences, which I don't know. What I know is that my DT07 has the same issue. I took it apart few times, cleaned and verified it. The motors are OK, and I supposed it is the same with your unit. The belt issue someone mentioned here has nothing to do with it. The only belt in these units are on the CD loading tray mechanism. So, as long as you can load and unload discs in the unit, there is no belt issue. The issue could be the laser optical pickup, the assembly which contains the laser lens. There is one solution for this, which in my case didn't work: Increase the laser power by rotating an adjustable resistor mounted next to the lens. The procedure is explained on internet and if I remember well, there are few videos on YT, too. Otherwise, you have to buy the lens assembly. There are numerous offers on eBay, just search for RAE0150Z optical pickup.
In order to study and work on your ED90, the service manual can be found here: https://freeservicemanuals.info/en/servicemanuals/viewmanual/Panasonic/RXED90/

Reactions: dubout