RX-CT900 replacement speakers

Werewolfbox

Apr 8, 2021
USA
Hello to all you box gurus,
I'm very much a newb to Box repair. I've been searching for replacement speakers for an RX-CT900. The foam has disintegrated. I was considering re-foaming the cones but I thought i would be able to find replacements first. The current speakers I believe are 6" and are 2.7 ohm. I found some that look like they would work but they are 8 ohm. I think the box can drive them but I feel that something around 4 ohm would be better?

There is a thread/post about someone who found 4 ohm replacements and they included a link but the post is old and the link is broken.
If anyone has any insights or knows any compatible replacements I would be truly grateful.

I may name a goldfish after you!

Thank you in advance.

S.

IMG_8115.JPG

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
You can use any speaker that will fit. Bear in mind the originals are better than anything you can buy today. Also if you use higher resistance speakers you will lose volume; 8ohm drivers would be less than half volume.

Reactions: Werewolfbox

Werewolfbox

Apr 8, 2021
USA
You can use any speaker that will fit. Bear in mind the originals are better than anything you can buy today. Also if you use higher resistance speakers you will lose volume; 8ohm drivers would be less than half volume.
Yeah I figured as much.Thanks!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Is Parts Express still a good place to search? Either that or Ebay. There should be plenty of 3.2 ohm speakers. Including some that are coaxial, which would provide better highs than that piezo tweeter you've got in there. The majority of piezo tweeters I've had didn't produce any audible sound at all. Of course this could be due to the fact that I can't hear anything over 12 or 13 kHz, but why would a manufacturer start the frequencies that high when most boomboxes with cone tweeters start making sound at only like 3 or 4 kHz or something like that

Werewolfbox

Apr 8, 2021
USA
Did you find a suitable replacement? If yes, do you have a link? I'm needing to do so as well. TIA
I did not find replacement speakers but I did something better, I refoamed the original speakers. The ones in the picture are on a DS-660. I did re-foam the ones on my CT-900 also and they both sound great and it wasn't too much trouble. both models have the exact same speakers.

Attachments

Reactions: kavin.oh

Tal

Oct 19, 2023
Chattanooga, TN, USA
When your surround was still tattered, how did the speaker sound? I have the same box and the left speaker is unlistenable with any low frequency. It just kind of splatters it everywhere. The surround is completely gone. Where did you source the surrounds from? What type of glue is recommended? Easy peasy?