RX-5350 tweeters reversed polarity?

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
So I'm reassembling my Nat/Pan 5350 and while getting ready to wire the speakers, I noticed in my pics that the white wires are the positive to both woofers.
There's a blue and brown that are the negs.
They have a 4.7 cap from the blue and brown to black wires leading to the positives on the tweeters.
I've never seen this and am wondering if it came that way or if someone switched them at some point.
The service manual shows positive to positive and negative to negative.
The woofers are 8 ohm and the tweeters are 4 ohm if that matters.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
1676223004528.pngLike you know that cap is bipolar. Try to trace from the connecting plug and see if that makes sense. Tweeter and woofer +ive shared by each other. Black wire goes to +ive on both tweeter and woofer.

Last edited:

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
The whites are positive (plug wires 1 & 4) to the center lug of each woofer.
The brown and blue are negatives (plug wires 2 & 5) to the woofers.
If you look at my pics, the caps jump from the brown and blue wires (negatives) to the black wires which go to the positive lugs of the tweeters.
The white wires on the tweeters are on the negative lugs running to the woofer center lugs which are positive.
That's negative to positive and opposite of what's shown in the manual diagram.
In the manual pic, everything is neg to neg and pos to pos.

Superduper

Member (SA)
It does look like your tweeter wiring is reversed. There's no danger to the driver itself wiring it in the reverse manner, however because they would run out of phase with the woofers, that might have some effect on sound quality, although not to the extent that say, if one woofer was out of phase with another. The tweeter and woofers do not compete on the same sound spectrum so the effects obviously wouldn't be ultra noticeable. It's not entirely surpising seeing that the drivers are marked meaning they were likely removed for some reason at some point. Just switch them back and think no more about it.

Reactions: BoomboxLover48

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I've been reading and it seems some people do reverse the tweeters thinking it sounds better.
Maybe someone wanted to try it on here at some point.
Btw, the markings are mine from before I disassembled it.
I'll wire everything per the diagram.
Thanks.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
I think its the difference between Series or Parallel circuits. The Tweeter lags the woofer through the cap. I would leave it the way it was. I remember playing around with it in car audio it makes a difference.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I'm waiting on some parts so I won't be able to listen to it for at least a few days.
I messaged another member who was working on his 5350 so hopefully he'll get back to me with how his are wired.