Restoring my Conion C-100. How hard could it be?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Hi Marcus
I developed a diagram (link) for the chassis wiring, it should cut down on the labeling and photographing.
This box is difficult to work on. It will take a lot of time to get it all apart and back together. Many members here have struggled with this model.

You can kind of get at the lower deck without removing the board frame, but it's a giant pain. I'd recommend pulling out the board frame because there are a lot of wires around the back of the deck that make it difficult get in there for belt replacement. Disconnect everything mounted to the front, like speakers, LEDs, power switches, sensor, mixing knobs, and so on. Once everything is unplugged and you get all the screws out of the frame, you should be able to slide it out of the chassis.

Reactions: Mixamyte 1

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Caution, thank you so much. The link of the schematic is more than I could ask for. Yesterday I made up all the tags for the connectors I could see and I left them overnight to make sure the ink has dried. I'm using Scotch brand that I had left over from my electrical days. There's about forty tags. So far.

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
UPDATE: Well I have some sad news. I chickened out. When I started this thread I had fully intended to get those drive belts into the cassette drives. I bought the belts and had all the connection tags made up. The big Conion was laying on the kitchen table opened up and ready for surgery.
At the same time I had plans on gutting and renovating my downstairs bathroom. Just as I was about to start on the Conion my brother told me he had access to a dumpster for a short while and told me if I wanted to get rid off the old bathroom I should start now.
So I looked at the Conion ready to go and thought.. renovating the bathroom will be easier. So I started in with hammer and crowbar and gutted the bathroom. I got rid of the stuff for free and didn’t have to hire a dumpster which would have been sitting in my yard tearing up my lawn.
The bathroom is completely done and looking beautiful and the first floor has been forensically cleaned. Yay.

But there’s the Conion still waiting for me to start ripping her apart. It’s a task.
Then I start thinking.. well, I’m not really going to use the tape decks much as I have excellent college, commercial free FM radio stations that I listen to all the time. And maybe I should wait to do the work when something really bad happens to it as everything else on it works just fine.
So yesterday I decided to just button it back up. I used an artists paint brush and vacuum cleaner to scour the insides and circuit boards. They were pretty clean anyways. I can always open it back up.

So here she stands proudly on display. I still need to shine up the front with Q-tips and soft cloths and water. I will buy a replacement door for the bottom deck and I need one knob for the level control.
I like the way it’s displayed. Being about as big as my TV it really shows off its impressive size. You can’t miss it.

I want to thank all who helped me. I suppose I’ll eventually get to it. But for now, yeah, I chickened out.

1B911DF7-C65E-4121-BA27-16D9B7E01A26.jpegCCAD9B5B-8D16-4B8E-9FF0-2162B014C9C5.jpeg