Restoration of my Sharp GF-767-H, help needed!

mrgr33n_

Aug 23, 2022
NRW, Germany
Greetings everyone.
This is my first post so please do not judge.
I am now restoring my boombox I got from a friend a couple of years ago.
In the first picture you can see it in the condition, that it was when I got it.
Due to the fact that I am an absolute newbie on that whole boombox thing, first thing I did was plugging it in and see what's happening. To my surprise everything works well, the antennas are abolutely straight, lights are working, radio works fine, both cassette-decks work perfectly (as far as I can tell) - simply put some old cassettes in and music came out of that box, nothing is scratching.
Screenshot_20220817-184941~3.png
Bad things I detected from looking at it: the paper membranes of the speakers on the outsides are torn, the chrome dustcaps in the middle and the "dubbing" knob is missing.
So I started by cleaning it up and adding some dustcaps in the original size:
IMG_20220817_184511~3.jpg
Looking way better than before!
I don't know what it is, but one can see that the right top-edge is a bit curvy. Maybe I have to take a look whats happening on the inside..
IMG_20220818_005049.jpg
Much dirt was in it, so I decided to clean it up in the first step and to take the torn speakers out.
Now I am lacking of spare parts.
I thought of replacing only the original paper membranes with new ones but they are harder to find than I thought because I want some in a similar color and most are black or grey which would not fit the rest in my opinion.
The speakers themselves are in good condition and working fineIMG_20220823_142243.jpg
IMG_20220817_222624~2.jpgIMG_20220817_222635~2.jpg
But if anyone has a pair of these for sale in Germany or is willing to ship to Germany, please tell! :)
Any idea of what those boomboxes are worth today or what I have to do to raise it in value?
Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Greetings everyone.
This is my first post so please do not judge.
I am now restoring my boombox I got from a friend a couple of years ago.
In the first picture you can see it in the condition, that it was when I got it.
Due to the fact that I am an absolute newbie on that whole boombox thing, first thing I did was plugging it in and see what's happening. To my surprise everything works well, the antennas are abolutely straight, lights are working, radio works fine, both cassette-decks work perfectly (as far as I can tell) - simply put some old cassettes in and music came out of that box, nothing is scratching.
View attachment 55544
Bad things I detected from looking at it: the paper membranes of the speakers on the outsides are torn, the chrome dustcaps in the middle and the "dubbing" knob is missing.
So I started by cleaning it up and adding some dustcaps in the original size:
View attachment 55545
Looking way better than before!
I don't know what it is, but one can see that the right top-edge is a bit curvy. Maybe I have to take a look whats happening on the inside..
View attachment 55547
Much dirt was in it, so I decided to clean it up in the first step and to take the torn speakers out.
Now I am lacking of spare parts.
I thought of replacing only the original paper membranes with new ones but they are harder to find than I thought because I want some in a similar color and most are black or grey which would not fit the rest in my opinion.
The speakers themselves are in good condition and working fineView attachment 55548
View attachment 55550View attachment 55551
But if anyone has a pair of these for sale in Germany or is willing to ship to Germany, please tell! :)
Any idea of what those boomboxes are worth today or what I have to do to raise it in value?
Thanks in advance and have a nice day!
All of those speakers used to be black you could repair those tears with regular Elmer's Glue and a tiny paint brush you just apply the glue sparingly and wait for it to tack up then press the tear back together and let it set up once you're happy with the way it looks.

• Wow
Reactions: mrgr33n_

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Also many 6.5 inch car speakers fit this box and will improve the sound plus you if you use a coaxial speaker it's a great way to upgrade the tweeters as well.

Reactions: mrgr33n_

mrgr33n_

Aug 23, 2022
NRW, Germany
All of those speakers used to be black you could repair those tears with regular Elmer's Glue and a tiny paint brush you just apply the glue sparingly and wait for it to tack up then press the tear back together and let it set up once you're happy with the way it looks.
Oh wow, I never would have thought that they once were black! What an insight, my mind is totally blown away.. for real though. Colour was fading due to sunlight I guess? That makes much more sense.

Thanks for the tips! I will try my best and keep you up to date.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I also used a thick black Sharpie pen to restore the black coloring of the speaker cloth.
It's the easiest way to do it . it takes time but it's worth it because the ink keeps the cones from further drying out.
You can upgrade the speakers while holding on to original speakers in case you want to change it back

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Oh wow, I never would have thought that they once were black! What an insight, my mind is totally blown away.. for real though. Colour was fading due to sunlight I guess? That makes much more sense.

Thanks for the tips! I will try my best and keep you up to date.
Yes from the factory the woofers where black.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I love them dust caps you used lining things up is not easy been there and done that
.but they look good to me