Removed Chassis, Cassette Deck Won't play

fearziz

Oct 25, 2021
savannah
I'm losing my mind. I've taken everything apart and snipped some board wires to get a clean view of this dang thing and still cannot remove the chassis to access the deck. What am I missing!? I got this guy with a non-working desk. It is spinning very slowly or not at all, also the right channel is lower than the left output wise...I've taken my rc-70 apart 100s of times without any issues. obviously this model isnt made with ease of disassembly in mind....

geojson multipolygon example

fearziz

Oct 25, 2021
savannah
alright so ive taken this thing apart and cleaned everything, put it back togethor. The Cassette Desk still doesnt work correctly. Play FF RW starts then it auto stops. Anyone else have this issue or any ideas? Maybe a video will help showing.

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
It might be the same problem I had with my Silver ST858 (and others with the M70). At least I see a brown magnet on your counter wheel:

QUOTE:
See the brown magnet attached to the counter wheel? The counter is linked to the auto stop solenoid. So if you have problems with the auto stop engaging all the time, check the counter belt.

It is the last post on this thread:

Reactions: fearziz

fearziz

Oct 25, 2021
savannah
thank you for the responses, ive ordered new belts. The parts you're referring to have been cleaned but I will redo the work and lube everything better. I'm not entirely sure what magnet you're referring to though? The Tape counter is working however, it is one of the first things I checked based on the following service manual entry. and is it me or is it counting backwards? Video of issue

Last edited:

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
The video is made by you? Because the few times the counter is visible it seems that it doesn't move or only a bit.

I don't own an M70. But I have marked the spot where I believe to see the brown magnet (?). Maybe it isn't mounted to the wheel that moves the counter resulting in the counter working and still engaging the auto stop?

Anyhow, as long as that brown magnet stands still the autostop will always engage – that was at least the issue with my Silver box.

3-B7-B476-C-BFBF-4533-B4-EA-C2-EE47-CC22-B2.jpg

fearziz

Oct 25, 2021
savannah
The video is made by you? Because the few times the counter is visible it seems that it doesn't move or only a bit.

I don't own an M70. But I have marked the spot where I believe to see the brown magnet (?). Maybe it isn't mounted to the wheel that moves the counter resulting in the counter working and still engaging the auto stop?

Anyhow, as long as that brown magnet stands still the autostop will always engage – that was at least the issue with my Silver box.

View attachment 53743
yes sir i made the vid, i will verify

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
I don't know if you refer to my post as I didn't recommend to demagnatize the head.

Radio Raheems and my recommendation was and still is: Make sure the tape counter is (constantly / evenly) running and see if the auto stop problem is solved.

fearziz

Oct 25, 2021
savannah
I don't know if you refer to my post as I didn't recommend to demagnatize the head.

Radio Raheems and my recommendation was and still is: Make sure the tape counter is (constantly / evenly) running and see if the auto stop problem is solved.
sorry for the confusion, i was demagnetizing the head on my own. this was a recent acquisition. I am going to reopen the box today to verify the earlier suggestion.

fearziz

Oct 25, 2021
savannah
I don't know if you refer to my post as I didn't recommend to demagnetize the head.

OK, i took everything apart tonight and crc'd, dielectric lubed everything on the deck. It is now playing + FF, RW. I don't know what the issue was. It's possible the previous owner reassembled it incorrectly or something was in a jammed up state. I will say though that the deck is playing noisy. In other words, something isn't smooth with the mechanics. Tape movements have a noticeable clicking.metal rubbing sound. I may have to remove it again and double check how it's put togethor or spray it down with some detoxit d5 when time permits. Regardless, i'm further now than before so that's a win in my book.

Reactions: dubout

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The spring loaded clutch mechanism under the flywheel has a "plastic slip on ring" that lock, that part gets loose. It is a common problem with M70s also.
This clutch assembly will rub on the flywheel and make noise.

You can buy assorted plastic gears and select one out of it and use it there to lock the clutch mechanism.
Check for worn-out contact wheels in the deck mechanism. Replace them as needed. In most cases that is the problem with noisy deck.
~Royce

Attachments

Last edited: