Received my Aiwa CS880. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
tshorba said:
A few members have used a Polk Audio 6.5" Passive as a replacement, might be a bit hard to find now. The easiest solution would be to cut the basket off the frame to leave only the mounting flange, remove the passive disc off the existing driver and fit to the new mounting flange/frame

sweetboy220466 said:
the back needs to be dead flat with a sponge backing on it, like the one in this picture.
The foam is there to dampen the Alu disc to prevent any ringing that may occur.

sweetboy220466 said:
Btw the person who sold me this box belongs to this very website he has the original passive frame but he's not making no effort to give it to me, i'm very disappointed with the guy cause he supposedly is meant to have a good rep.
If they ignore the issue then call them out on the sellers feedback section

Thanks a lot mate you've been extremely helpful once again, i've sent the seller a PM with detailed pics of what he sold me and i've also asked for him to send the Passive radiator Frame to me, if he ignores my request then i will have no option but to expose him to every other member.

JVC Floyd said:
because i have seen these radiators deflect by several degrees due to the lack of a spider to control the diaphram movement , basically the cone wobbles .but there's no distortion involved just looks funny watching the radiator undulate in every direction.
Surely this would be due to the age of the suspension (foam) Sag does occur on dynamic drivers with spiders and voice coils as they age, all drivers should be rotated in their mounting over time to prevent this. I have owned a number of speakers (home hi-fi) with passive radiators and don't have this problem myself.

tshorba

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
South West Victoria
sweetboy220466 said:
Thanks a lot mate you've been extremely helpful once again, i've sent the seller a PM with detailed pics of what he sold me and i've also asked for him to send the Passive radiator Frame to me, if he ignores my request then i will have no option but to expose him to every other member.
No worries
( the above text has been quoted as it was buried in your post)

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
JVC Floyd said:
my advice , if you can't get a factory replacement just use what you got . ,I don't think it will hurt it ,actually might help out in the long run because i have seen these radiators deflect by several degrees due to the lack of a spider to control the diaphram movement , basically the cone wobbles .but there's no distortion involved just looks funny watching the radiator undulate in every direction. my only concern would be the xmax or peak to peak cone travel being limited by the spider thus causing power compression meaning the output does not incrementally increase with input power. that foam on the back of the radiator is to dampen the sound so it doesn't sound hollow because of the aluminum disc .i would re foam the outer speakers and see how it sounds then if you think it sucks try plan B.

when doing the re foam always attach the foam to the cone first and let that dry while checking to be sure everything stays glued , after that dries then glue the foam to the frame ,as its drying occasionally press down on the cones to be sure they do not rub you can adjust it while the glue it wet , once they are centered just let the glue set and check it regularly.
i use a small brush to apply the glue and use the brush to push down any spots on the foam that pop up . the speaker cones and frames have to be cleaned of old material first before you start. take .

sorry i aint' been much help on this but youtube has plenty of video's showing how to do these .
Hey JVC Floyd what do u think of this, i managed to get rid of the speaker and the chassis from that Fake Passive that was in the Aiwa, :thumbsup: i was thinking of using a piece of foam to put on the back of the makeshift Passive Radiator, this foam is normally used in a fan oven extractor, as you said earlier it will help to dampen the sound so it dosen't sound hollow.
Of course, i'd have to cut down the foam even more thinner than what it is now, but i think it will work.
Oh yes i'm, gonna also refoam the woofers too. :-D

tshorba

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
South West Victoria
sweetboy220466 said:
it will help to dampen the sound so it dosen't sound hollow.
I'm not understanding this concept

From my understanding it is to dampen any ringing that may occur. Take a wine glass for example and strike the edge, you will get ringing, now place a piece of foam on it and strike the same place (covered with foam) you will not get the ringing. This is a very simple example but does convey the idea.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I guess I still don't understand. The black passive "frame" that's in there now, you say it isn't the factory Aiwa one? Are you sure?

And how about the silver disk? Looks original to me. What is it made of?

I mean if there's a frame, AND a disk, then that should be good enough. I don't understand why the previous owner put a speaker on top of that. :huh: What was it supposed to accomplish?

Maybe there's something obvious I"m missing.....I'm not good with photos :dunce:

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
Reli said:
I guess I still don't understand. The black passive "frame" that's in there now, you say it isn't the factory Aiwa one? Are you sure?

And how about the silver disk? Looks original to me. What is it made of?

I mean if there's a frame, AND a disk, then that should be good enough. I don't understand why the previous owner put a speaker on top of that. :huh: What was it supposed to accomplish?

Maybe there's something obvious I"m missing.....I'm not good with photos :dunce:
The Fake Passive was a speaker from another unit which somebody put in the Aiwa instead of the Passive. :-O The Fake Passive had its own Frame which happened to be the exact size as the original they also stuck on the front of the speaker the original Aluminium Passive disc, :annoyed: thats why from the outside it looked real. DO U GET IT NOW? :huh: lol

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
tshorba said:
sweetboy220466 said:
it will help to dampen the sound so it dosen't sound hollow.
I'm not understanding this concept

From my understanding it is to dampen any ringing that may occur. Take a wine glass for example and strike the edge, you will get ringing, now place a piece of foam on it and strike the same place (covered with foam) you will not get the ringing. This is a very simple example but does convey the idea.
Ok thanks for that input.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
So I guess the original owner was too lazy to try glueing a new foam surround on it, and that's why he mounted the aftermarket speaker, to press the disk up against the box and make it look functional?

Just trying to figure out why he mounted that speaker........I mean, the passive seems like it would have worked without it, had he taken the time to put a new surround on it. But it's hard for me to tell from looking at photos. :hmmm:

Never mind me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.