Protelx GPO Brooklyn Boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah I might buy one, but I still think it needs improvement.

The trim rings are ugly. They are too smoothly curved. They need some detail, like fake screw-tabs.

The tweeters are way too big. They look like Mickey Mouse ears.

The front face is too flat and one-dimensional. It needs some bevel-cuts or grid lines cut into it, to create some "surface interest".

I understand the limits of production cost and how young people probably don't share my views, but that's not going to stop me from making comments as I see fit.

It does get many things right - Knobs on the front (CHROME knobs), full-width tuner dial, a folding handle, and a classic VU meter.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed. But like any woman, they all need improvement in some area.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I dunno guys, it looks cheaply built. Remember the classic way to check the quality of the deck? You see if the deck keys all line up evenly! :lol:
IMG_4290.PNG
A man after my own heart, checking the build quality straight away. I looked at this and noticed the same thing. With a £200 RRP it was always going to be built to a budget.

Reli said:
Yeah I might buy one, but I still think it needs improvement.

The trim rings are ugly. They are too smoothly curved. They need some detail, like fake screw-tabs.

The tweeters are way too big. They look like Mickey Mouse ears.

The front face is too flat and one-dimensional. It needs some bevel-cuts or grid lines cut into it, to create some "surface interest".

I understand the limits of production cost and how young people probably don't share my views, but that's not going to stop me from making comments as I see fit.

It does get many things right - Knobs on the front, full-width tuner dial, a folding handle, and a classic VU meter.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed. But like any woman, they all need improvement in some area.
One again Reli i completely agree here, we were just chatting on whatsapp the other night and i mentioned the speaker surrounds look cheap, the grill just look a little bit wrong but as tou say it gets a lot right. Full width folding handle, tuner scale, knobs on the front and layout ala 920, nice bright VU's, lots of connection/play options.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I just noticed, the meter strength isn't correctly balanced between left and right. So either there's a problem with the input source, the balance knob, or the pots on the LED board.

Also, it looks like the glow from the meter leaks into the tuner dial. They should have put some tape or felt inside to block the light.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah i just rewatched the video and paused it at various parts, it does look pretty cheaply made...

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:
I just noticed, the meter strength isn't correctly balanced between left and right. So either there's a problem with the input source, the balance knob, or the pots on the LED board.

Also, it looks like the glow from the meter leaks into the tuner dial. They should have put some tape or felt inside to block the light.
Hi Reli,

The glow is not leaking from the interior at all. It is the glow from the plastic to the sides, it is getting all around it the LED glass.

The plastic sides are extending out the from the rim of the plastic. It is more open to the top to hit the lower plastic dial edges of the cover also. So it is no internal leak.

The balance problem could be from the audio source, but unsure unless one has a good demo of this box. ~Royce

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Some of you are going to hate me for saying this, but I really hate when LED VU meters are maxed out. I think meters should show maxed out only when the box, input or output is really maxed out and near distortion. Not ALL the time whenever it is playing anything. Makes me think cheep, no true functionality to them.

Now if the signal is really maxed then fine, but then you would already know it [distortion].

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
BoomboxLover48 said:

The glow is not leaking from the interior at all. It is the glow from the plastic to the sides, it is getting all around it the LED glass.

The plastic sides are extending out the from the rim of the plastic. It is more open to the top to hit the lower plastic dial edges of the cover also. So it is no internal leak.

The balance problem could be from the audio source, but unsure unless one has a good demo of this box. ~Royce
Gotcha.

Barb Bush said:
Some of you are going to hate me for saying this, but I really hate when LED VU meters are maxed out. I think meters should show maxed out only when the box, input or output is really maxed out and near distortion. Not ALL the time whenever it is playing anything. Makes me think cheep, no true functionality to them.

Now if the signal is really maxed then fine, but then you would already know it [distortion].
Totally agree with you! That's why I prefer meters that measure input level, not output power.

Think about it, why would you want a meter that doesn't flash at all when you're listening at low volume?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:

Gotcha.

Barb Bush said:

Totally agree with you! That's why I prefer VU meters, not power meters. VU meters measure input level. They behave the same no matter what you do with the volume knob.

Think about it, why would you want a meter that doesn't flash at all when you're listening at low volume?

I am not a fan of LED either. I have to see the VU meter dancing back and forth. I prefer VU meters with nice back plate and scale with colored writings and all. Some black back plates looks really nice when it is all lit up.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
My issue with needles is that most of them can't be seen from far away. The needles are too thin, and they're usually black which is hard to see. You would need to paint the needle with fluorescent paint, or make it out of translucent plastic so that it could be illuminated.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Reli said:
That's a good start, but they're so bright that they're lighting up their unlit neighbors, and the entire housing around the meter. The LED bracket (if there is one) needs to be black and have partitions to keep them isolated.

Rings: Yeah I think flat, forward-facing mirror surfaces would be a good start, with your idea of more detailing.
Tweeter: I'd take rectangular over round even if it meant a smaller tweeter. It's worse than a GE 3-5257A!

There's scuffing around the side panel, those toggle switches need to get chrome caps, and definitely some lines and angles put into the case. And where's my door cling, deck insert and speaker sash? :lol: Seriously though they made a good first attempt.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
I reckon those two toggle switches stick out too far making them vulnerable to damage.IMG_4300.PNG

The more I look at it, the closer I think they should have stuck to the styling of the Lasonic box that inspired them: :-)
IMG_4299.PNGIMG_4303.PNG
They've certainly broken new ground with the 'small driver, big tweeter' look. I'm thinking maybe the 'Mickey Mouse Ear' tweeters may actually incorporate bass ports thus requiring the extra wide openings!?

You can't beat the good 'Ol 'tweeter directly above the driver look' though IMHO. :-)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
caution said:
That's a good start, but they're so bright that they're lighting up their unlit neighbors, and the entire housing around the meter. The LED bracket (if there is one) needs to be black and have partitions to keep them isolated.

Rings: Yeah I think flat, forward-facing mirror surfaces would be a good start, with your idea of more detailing.
Tweeter: I'd take rectangular over round even if it meant a smaller tweeter. It's worse than a GE 3-5257A!

There's scuffing around the side panel, those toggle switches need to get chrome caps, and definitely some lines and angles put into the case. And where's my door cling, deck insert and speaker sash? :lol: Seriously though they made a good first attempt.
< Google'd GE 3-5257A

< Quickly closes browser :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.