Problems with cassette deck

Parcival

Jul 18, 2021
United states
Hi, I newly purchased this boom box and played well for a while, but then all of a sudden it just stopped playing and It won’t keep playing. It can rewind and fast-forward, but it won’t eject. So how do I open it with the cassette still in the boom box to fix this problem?

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Once you remove all the screws you can wiggle it to release the door. If the back comes off you can turn the mechanism by hand to release the cassette. Be very careful and take your time.

Reactions: Hajidub

Parcival

Jul 18, 2021
United states
Ok i got it open, any way i can keep it playing. It seems that sometimes it will play all the time and other times it won’t continuously play.

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
Without knowing the model it is a bit hard to guess whats wrong or to find someone who knows the mechanism and can interpret the picture. Sounds like a malfunction of the auto stop but who knows if the box even has that?

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
Sorry, I don't know that model.

But in the second picture where you circled the 'faulty' section I notice that right above the circle there is a slanted (rubber) wheel or something. Is that how it should be? Normally everything is in line in the cassette mechs I have seen.

Parcival

Jul 18, 2021
United states
It’s a gear and it seems that every once in a while it pops up like that but then it corrects itself back to where its supposed to be. Do I take apart the whole thing to see and possibly fix a placement issue?

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
'Once in a while' sounds to me like this is the issue and fits to the occasional error you experience. Take a good look and find out why it pops out of place / isn't held in place. There must be a reason.

Normally it is easier to find the source of a problem when things are assembled – depending on how good you can see the parts while working.

But if taking apart the mechanism is the only way to find out I am afraid you will have to do that. Take photos, the mechs look more complicated to disassemble and reassamble than they are. In most cases all falls into place when putting back together.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
first replace the belts as this is the most common problem. Can you post a photo of the back of the mech.

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
first replace the belts as this is the most common problem. Can you post a photo of the back of the mech.
If you haven't done that I would recommend to do this first, too. Maybe a (still working but) loose belt prevents it from staying in place. Worth a try.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Because it was working the problem is with the rubber belts. They respond to duty cycle so they work for a while then stretch after use.

Reactions: Hajidub