post your boombox history growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Jaredscottfla & Ira-here's my 1968" G.E. transistor radio.This one is pretty dirty from stting alot.I have another in soem box that's in even better condition.Both work great
Here are 3 photos.
Sorry-I'm still learning to use this camera phone.
have a great night-GB. :-)

-

-

-

jaredscottfla

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Florida
:cool: i have a very similar model,what's the model number of yours,(btw sorry for the thread hijack Tony and Bobby,if Ya'll want to move this fine,Just old Radio Talk Kinda Gets me nostalgic and fired up! :lol: :lol: )

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Jaredscottfla-It has a number in the back cover P-2790J.
I believe that is the #.
BYW-now I know why these sounded so good.
Looking in there is a Pioneer speaker stock!
This was my first radio-not boombox but first radio.
Have a great one. :-)

isolator42

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Surrey, UK
Started with monos:
first a Philips AR073 (Christmas present):

Then a Hitachi TRK5350 (unwanted Christmas gift from my brother's work, passed onto me):

All my stereo boomboxes were self-financed, so no high end Aiwas or JVCs for me.
First a Philips D8132 (£50 from BHS in 1984):

Then the Philips D8134 (on sale down to £50 from Dixons in 1985):

Then things got serious, with the Hitachi 3D7 (got an end-of-line sale deal from Boots for around £100 in 1987):

this is a pic of it when it was just a few months old...

Then I got into home hifi & then car audio, leaving the boomboxes behind.
...until 2005 :-)

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
Nothing earth-shatteringly interesting but here goes:

One xmas back in the mid 70's I got a Waltham mono tape-recorder with external mic and a Scotch c60 tape, plus an ABBA pre-recorded cassette!
Used to record 'Top Of The Pops' off the TV using the mic and was well pleased with myself for 'taping songs off the telly'!
Many cheap old blank tapes and nasties like Showaddywaddy's album later I was ready to move on to a radio-cassette.

It was a Sharp mono but I cant remember the GF number for the life of me. All I know is that it was very basic and had no 'cool lights' or fancy controls, just volume, band, mode select and a built-in mic, not even a tape counter.
But it sufficed, it was new and it was a gift from my parents so I appreciated it.

Then around 1983 a friend of mine got a Hitachi boombox, again I can't remember the model, I think it was one of the 7000 series, had LED's almost identical to the Sharp 8989 and top sliders. Only 'tone' no bass/treble but a great box.
Then we were out walking the streets with the Hitachi one night (as usual) pumping out things like 'Reach Up' by Toney Lee, 'Body Work, 'Monyaka' and 'Juicy Fruit' and he said he couldn't be bothered to carry it home and would I look after it for the night!!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!
Needless to say it was a sad morning the following day when I had to take it back. But hey, I cranked it good on that walk and felt like the bees knees, and my love interest Michelle happened to walking down the street at the same time, BONUS.

Then, in xmas 1984 myself and my American friend Todd were both excited about the prospect of getting boomers that year and guess what, we both did!! I got the Pioneer SK303 and Todd received.................... A PANASONIC RX-C100 IN DARK GREY :-O (His dad got in from the BX on our local U.S airbase).

Anyway, I was in my element, stuck in the Thriller cassette that I also got that year and let it roll.
This was my first ever decent stereo system (the Fidelity record player didn't really count!) and I was having great fun recording hits from the Sunday chart countdown in STEREO!!!!
Anyway a year or two later with my interest in boomboxes firmly established and rarely being seen in the streets without it I began to yearn for something a bit flashier and louder (partly through constant envy of Todds panny) when one day a friend said I could buy his boombox for 60 quid if I wanted as he never used it. He said it was a Sharp and it was huge and that was enough info for me...... I said yes, I'll get the money and come and get it now.
Turns out it was a Sharp 8989, which while not 'huge' was still a big shiny glitzy unit and there was no hesitation, money, box, thank you, bye. :-D

Turns out the fast forward was crapped out and rewind was marginal but OK, but apart from that it was incredible.
Well around this period it seemed like EVERYONE was walking around with these things, so I was itching to go up town and show off the Sharp, which I did, every single night, all day on Sat/Sun me and my friend just walked around blasting out the tunes.
As years wore on, as we all know these things fell out of fashion, the Sharp rewind packed up, record packed up, it was looking a bit rough too so I gave it away.
Years passed and one day whilst working as a lighting engineer and relamping a shop in a town called Cromer I was up the ladder and did a double-take of a young lad standing in the queue holding the most beautiful, shiny, amazing and huge boombox I had ever seen, it looked unreal I'd never seen anything like it!!!!
Well, that image stayed in the back of my mind for the years following until one day I was searching the internet and decided to try and find out what box it was...I knew it was a Crown and then, thanks to Stereo2Go found out it was a Crown SZ5100. Well, after joining the site and seeing all the wonderful collections and seeing the vast number of boxes on Ebay my interest resurfaced in quite a different way to what it was all those years ago.
So now I'm just enjoying it as a hobby, and also a big part of that is seeing the collections of other like-minded individuals and also trying to explain the appeal (unsuccessfully usually!) to 'normal' people :lol:

I am quite new here, so here goes...........

The year: Christmas 1986, I think.

Always wanted a boomer, but then, who didn't? This is the 80s! Today's kid without a mobile phone was like us without a boomer.....You were no-one without a boomer! Or at least, that's how it seemed to run around my streets.

Comes downstairs that Christmas morning, and my older sister is busy pulling out all her pressies from her santa-sack, and I noticed that mine wasn't half as full as hers......or my younger sisters. Why could that be? It didn't take me too long to find out......

Next to my pressie sack, stood up on its end was a big tall rectangular present. Well, it looked tall at the time! :-D
I knew what was in there. Eggs don't come in big long rectangular parcels, so it had to be a boomer, no doubt.

Opened it, and there it was. My first boomer. Make?

.....Saisho. Well, it was my first box, so I was quite impressed with it. Not that many kids aged 9 had a box that big, with detachable speakers too!!

Just to prove my point, the kid next door had a little golden mono-box, and my Saisho just urinated all over it. His little mono-box would flop-out half-way up the volume dial, but my Saisho just kept on giving it large.

Other presents that year? Blank cassettes, a Ni-Cad battery charger WITH six C-cells!! Recharge for 16 hours, and then it's portable time, baby!

I may also like to point out, that back in the 80s in the UK, when you bought certain electrical items, in particular, boomboxes, it wasn't just a case of pull it out the box, plug-in and play. Oh no. The supplied power cord had to have a plug wired onto it!! :annoyed: So I had to wait a few hours for my dad to get up, have some tea and cigarettes before he would even pick up his screw drivers and put on a plug. The longest two hours EVER!!!

So we got it going, and yeah, it went quite loud......I even had to do the obligatory breakdance/hip-hop thing and stand there in the front room with my boombox on my shoulder, much to everyone's hilarity. :hmmm:

This box wasn't without its problems though. Within one week, the tape deck was starting to run stupidly slow, and just after one year, a month after the warranty expired on it, the jack-plug socket on the back decided to give up on me. It was a loose solder joint on the board inside. So after borrowing the neighbor's very expensive Weller soldering Iron, my pop cracked open the case and soldered that sucker back up, and got it booming again on all two speakers!

Honestly though, this soldering iron we used.....It wasn't like one of those little wee things that looks like a pen with a power cord on it, oh no. This thing had a case, all various different tips to fix onto ot, a place inside the case to keep a roll of solder, the full works. The Iron itself looked like a gun! It even had a big red trigger! :lol: It looked like a futuristic, no-bullet people-zapper! ( these days, we call 'em Tazers! :lol: )

-------------

It was a couple of years later, that I was carrying my boomer along the street, when the handle decided to give out on me.

Anyone ever dropped a cheap 3-piece boomer? Then you know what happens. Batteries come flying out all over the place, and the speakers go rollin' down the street. Could be extremely embarrassing in a busy high street, so I am glad that it decided to give out down a small quiet residential street. Well, it was VERY quiet along there after my boomer had hit the ground!! :thumbsdown:

I had that box until '97, when the tape deck started going all funny on me. Even the cheap volume sliders were very crackly, and you really had to play with them to get the sound to work. Sometimes, the vibration of the woofers would be enough to cause them to stop working! One speaker would suddenly cut out, and you'd have to re-jiggle the vol slider to get it working again. Sometimes, the other woofer would vibrate it back on again! :-D Piece of crap! I decided it was time to chuck it out. So after opening the speaker boxes and puling the magnets off, I chucked it away.

I have no regrets about chucking it.....Would I ever want another, should someone find one? NO WAY. :lol: :-P
To give you an idea of what this box was like, it was similar in size and power output to that of a Panasonic RX-C-36, but I can now inform you that the panasonic can go WAY louder!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Christmas 1993......Another boomer, and this time, I wanted Double Cassette! Opened the box, and there it was!

Once again.....No plug. Being a bit older, I could now wire my own plug onto the cord that cannot be removed from these boxes. Its permanently fixed in there!

A double-cassette box. Make: Hitachi. The model was TRK-3D30. I really wanted the 3D80 though!

For the record, a 3D30 as £79.99, and the 3D80 was £129.99, from Argos. Year 1993/1994

I still have my 3D30! YAY !!!! :thumbsup: 16 years of age, and still working, although the sliders on it could use a good cleaning.....They're starting to go a bit Saisho on me!! :annoyed:

In 1995, my 3D30 was placed into second-position for audio entertainment, when I got my first Hi-Fi, which was an Aiwa Z-1290. I later coupled that to a pair of Jamo 265s. BOOM! :lol: :cool:

I couldn't carry that around though, so the little Hitachi stayed with me right though the 90s, and right up until the middle of 2001.

= = = = = =

So, what happened in 2001 ? OH MY GOODNESS !!!!!!! From that dy to this, I have never seen another boombox as huge and as heavy as the one I saw in that record store !!!!!!!!! What could it be? Well, it had an upright turntable in it, with red woofers!

I also found out, that he had THREE of them!!!!! I WANT ONE !!!! But I couldn't afford his asking price.

That box stayed there for a few more years until, back in October 2004, I was absolutely blown away by this HUUUUGE 4-woofer BEAST of a box in the machine workshop where I worked. MY GOODNESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Er.......Sharp..........G...............F..........................767 !!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

HAD TO HAVE IT !!!!!! Owner says 'No sale'. Whaaaaatt?!

Hold on one moment!!! The record store boomer! Turntable! Red Woofers! I have a job, I have the cash!

That weekend...........

I get on the train and go back to the record store. Guess what? No VZ. Gone. :sad:

I said to the store owner that i thought I could trust him to save it for me, but he said that times got tough, and he had to sell.

But.......I still have one left. Its back at my basement, so if you wait until I close the store, we can go back to the basement, and you can check it out.

YESSSS !!!!!!! :cool: :thumbsup:

So I examined the box, flashed the cash, and got out of there a bit half-sharpish before he could reverse the deal and take the box back!

Have YOU ever tried legging it with a VZ? These things have built-in anti-theft! The weapon? WEIGHT. Lots of.

I ended up getting a taxi cab back to the train station, and when I was there, I was getting all kinds of funny looks! :-D :-D

Even back home on the train, the VZ picked up a few admirers!

I haven't been the same since. That year just got better and better.

At the end of November, I won an eBay auction! What could it be?

Coming from australia, it took THREE MONTHS to arrive to the UK!

Remember the Workshop boomer? YEP!! A Sharp GF-767. :drool:

And then in December, I won another big boomer from eBay.......The GF-777 YESSSS :cool:

Here they are, together:

It must have been around about November 2004 that I discovered Stereo2Go.

Shortly after that, I laid down the foundations for a thread that was to become legendary! :lol: :lol: :w00t: :cool:

Even today, no other thread even comes close to its massive total of more than EIGHT HUNDRED POSTS !!!!! :-D :-D Really!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

As some of you know, I was away from there for a couple of years, because of PanFan.
Let's leave that behind......Let's move on, let's keep those woofers pumpin'.

Of course, I have many more boxes, and guess what? That 3D80 that I always wanted back in the day?

I now have one to keep my 3D30 company! SUPER YAAAAAAY! :cool: :thumbsup:

End.

-BoomBoxDeluxe.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
Okay. Around 1977, I was sporting my first G.E., leatherbound transistor radio. My pop bought for me and I took it everywhere. strapped to my Evel Knievel bike's handle bars :cool: .
In about 1982-83, my folks bought me this HUGE Pilot double cassette/ record player boomer. (I wish I could find another one (sentimental reasons)
Then, I bought this cool looking Sony which I now own again (Athough not the exact one)
. Next was a Fisher PH492K during my breakdancing days through 1984-86... Man that would trump all other wherever It went)
Lastly, I bought a new Lasonic in 1987 at a SwapMeet in Chino Hills, CA. for about $180 It sure sounded and looked good listening to those Fri & Sat nite master mixes from the L.A. radio stations. :cool: :cool:
(Pics borrowed from members & internet).

ViennaSound

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Vienna / Austria
ahardb0dy said:
last box I bought new was a monster, a friend had one and they were selling left and right at the local flea markets, it was big, heavy, loud, so heavy that it really spent most of it's time in my bedroom with the occasional trip with me to college tto crank out in the cafeteria the Sharp HK-9000, I still can not remember what I ever did with this one, it left my possesion some where along the way as the 880 is still with me. Wish I had another one.

that's it for my boombox history, how about yours??
I own the same one.
Bought at the flea, but the speakers are missing. :'-(
Labeled as NAN HO (chinese).
If you want it (or parts) let me know.
I´m just going to part it, because i don´t want to keep an speakerless unit... :-/

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
ViennaSound said:
ahardb0dy said:
last box I bought new was a monster, a friend had one and they were selling left and right at the local flea markets, it was big, heavy, loud, so heavy that it really spent most of it's time in my bedroom with the occasional trip with me to college tto crank out in the cafeteria the Sharp HK-9000, I still can not remember what I ever did with this one, it left my possesion some where along the way as the 880 is still with me. Wish I had another one.

that's it for my boombox history, how about yours??
I own the same one.
Bought at the flea, but the speakers are missing. :'-(
Labeled as NAN HO (chinese).
If you want it (or parts) let me know.
I´m just going to part it, because i don´t want to keep an speakerless unit... :-/

does yours have the cardboard (particle board) rear panel? Bobby sent me a picture of one he found for sale and it had that but I don't recall mine being like that

ViennaSound

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Vienna / Austria
Here it is: :-)

The body is of wood and the back of paper. :dunce:
But without the original speakers it´s worthless to save for me.
Never tested how it sounds.
:-/

ViennaSound

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Vienna / Austria
Will do it so. ;-)
I bought it for a friend for his carservice to make some music.
But then he got an stationary sound system and the NANHO ended in the cellar.
:'-(

Old school Scott

Member (SA)
Jun 12, 2009
Back in 1980, I was in High school.
This one dude in my homeroom class used to always wear a carmel three pieced suit to school and he would bring a new high-end Boomer to school every month. He would plop that thing down on his desk and we would all gather around and gawk.
Boomers with turntable in them, TV, he was the first to have a Disco Lite!
I wanted one sooo bad but I couldn't afford it, all the money I would make, my parents put toward my college education.
So my parents promised to buy me a boom box if I got good grades. They bought me this chincey little Sony but I carried it everywhere blasting it to the point of distortion. In my memory it was alot bigger but the pictures don't lie.

"Parents just don't understand"
Cheers OSS

Old school Scott

Member (SA)
Jun 12, 2009
Naw. I don't remember the model, but if anyone out there does it would be awsome to look up a pic of my first box.

Thanx. OSS

Status
Not open for further replies.