Panasonic RX-DS620 tape jammed

Nader

Dec 24, 2021
East of Seattle
I just rebought this box that I had in the '90's. It's fairly nice, except the tape player was erratic and the FF/REW motors were maybe weak. The tape deck is servo actuated, and there's a tape stuck in the well that won't allow the door to open enough to withdraw it. It opens just a crack. I'm able to grab the edge of the tape, but it's stuck in there, like it's hung up on the capstans. Turning the box on and off makes a mechanical noise in the tape well like something is briefly trying to engage or turn. Otherwise it's frozen, no input from any tape function buttons. Any ideas? Here's the offender:

XPQE1225.jpeg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
it might have an interlock on the cassette door if the heads are still in the play position which means you have to take the back of the box off and manually spin the flywheel of the tape deck until the heads rotate down then if you press eject the door should open all the way. this happens when you get slack in the belts and they don't have enough grip to lift the heads up fully and so it gets stuck Midway.