Panasonic RX- 5050

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarletruby

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2014
Oh, that makes sense lol well thanks for that, I feel like I missed the obvious and I'm a little frustrated with this project but that's why I joined this site, to learn. I've been cleaning the switches and I'll put it back together to see if all this cleaning is going to make a difference in the sound.

scarletruby

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2014
I just put my boombox back together and the cassette sounds a lot better! The equalizer lights are working in cassette mode and it has a bigger sound to it now, thanks for the help everyone!! You're all awesome! :-)

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
There should be a hole on the back of the motor.
And yes DO NOT adjust the heads or anything unless you know exactly what are you doing or have a way to put it exactly back where it was before. All heads need to be readjusted upon the replacement only.

BoomerBob

Member (SA)
Jun 23, 2015
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks! I have replaced the belts, but still plays slow! I read about adjusting the speed, and I see there is a rubber flap in the back of the motor. Can't see a slot in there, but it is hard to see inside. I will attempt this as a final try before seeking professional repairs.

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Yes that is it! I stick pre-recorded on quartz-calibrated deck 4 KHz cassette and adjust the motor by measuring the frequency on the line output. Make sure the flywheel shaft in the brass bearing lubricant did not turn rock-solid.

BoomerBob

Member (SA)
Jun 23, 2015
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks! I never thought about the motor lube! I bought this Panny about 3 weeks ago and it played fine. All of a sudden it slowed down a lot. I did replace the three belts, but did not think about the motor grease being bad. I couldn't imagine the motor speed would go out of adjustment that fast. Hopefully that is all it will need! I'll check it tomorrow!
Thanks again! :-)

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
On Matsushita motor brass bearing I've seen it so solid that the motor shaft won't turn! A tiny drop of synthetic oil is a must on those! Most motors still keep the correct speed even 35+ years after being manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.