Odd AC power connector on Sony CF-550A: Can anyone help me identify it?

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
I've just taken delivery of a slightly grubby, but otherwise tidy-looking Sony CF-550A.

Unfortunately it wasn't supplied with a power lead, and it uses an unusual connector. Instead of the usual 2-pin IEC connector it has a small 3-pin connector (see photo attached), similar in shape to an IEC C13 "kettle" connector but smaller (similar width to the 2-pin C7, but narrower pin spacing) and with round pins.

I've tried various Google searches but have failed to identify the connector type or source a suitable cable to match it.

Can anyone identify this thing and/or suggest where I might obtain a matching cable?

Thanks
Jonny

Attachments

Superduper

Member (SA)
Your best bet is to power it using the DC adapter or just use batteries. That cord is impossible to find new, and next to impossible to find used. If you find one on eBay, it literally might cost more than the Boombox. On the other hand, that particular unit is very thrifty on batteries and one set will last an obscenely long time without the need to tether a cord. Get rechargeable batteries & you are all set.

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Superduper said:
Your best bet is to power it using the DC adapter or just use batteries. That cord is impossible to find new, and next to impossible to find used. If you find one on eBay, it literally might cost more than the Boombox. On the other hand, that particular unit is very thrifty on batteries and one set will last an obscenely long time without the need to tether a cord. Get rechargeable batteries & you are all set.
Thanks, that certainly corroborates what I've found so far, i.e. it's like gold dust!

DC adapter it is then. I've used a universal DC adapter just to check that it works (it does, remarkably well despite the grubby exterior), so I'll treat the Sony to its very own dedicated 6V power supply.

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Bru87tr said:
Gold!
This is what I am talking about, common and wonder if it would work.
Yep, tried that one! C5 "cloverleaf" connector. Unfortunately that definitely doesn't fit, it's a lot bigger than the Sony connector.

This Sony lead must be the only small plastic electrical gadget that you can't buy from China!

Do wonder if a bit of Heath Robinson-esque bodging with a C5 lead, a Stanley knife and a tube of Araldite might wield a usable substitute.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Interesting it's not double insulated and requires an earth. What is the AC voltage marking on the back? I'm guessing it's for UK or AU?