Nothing good can come from this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I always hear people saying "Oh those scientists are just being dramatic so they can win more grant money for their research....."

Well, ask yourself who has a bigger financial stake to protect.....Scientists (most of whom aren't wealthy by any means), or all the corporations that want to protect fossil fuels? Oil, coal, gas, shipping, airlines, you name it. You're talking about some of the most powerful lobbying groups.

And who would you believe: Someone who has true passion for their job, like scientists, or some oil industry executive who's only in it for the big paycheck? I mean seriously, have you ever heard a child saying they want to become an oil industry executive? No, because it's not a very exciting or interesting job, so the only reason people take it is for the big paycheck. And those kinds of people aren't very trustworthy IMO.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
I always hear people saying "Oh those scientists are just being dramatic so they can win more grant money for their research....."

Well, ask yourself who has a bigger financial stake to protect.....Scientists (most of whom haven't even broken the $100,000 salary mark), or all the corporations that want to protect fossil fuels? Oil, coal, gas, shipping, airlines, you name it. You're talking about some of the most powerful lobbying groups.

And who would you believe: Someone who has true passion for their job, like scientists, most of whom make less than $100K, or some oil industry executive who's only in it for the big paycheck? I mean seriously, have you ever heard a child saying they want to become an oil industry executive? No, because it's not a very exciting or interesting job, so the only reason people take it is for the big paycheck. And those kinds of people aren't very trustworthy IMO.
It is an interesting angle for sure. I only know one actual scientist. A friend I went to high school with. In hindsight he was brilliant then. Kind of makes me wonder why he hung out with the weed smoking, beer drinking ditchers, of which I was one of. After many years of college he has settled into a job at a chemical company. He loves it. He's not a rich man, I think he is comfortable. But it is his passion for sure. So maybe your right.

There are many minds that I will never understand how they operate. I will never be in the inner circle, in the fog of secrecy that make up that decision making process. Obviously, I will never know what happens on the floor when the board of directors chooses to break the law for profit. I will never be in the locker room when a group of policeman choose to cover up an investigation against their own. I will never be in the banking system when they randomly choose who will and who will not get a loan plus many many more.

I can't tell if people are inherently good or bad. If they have something in common, they will treat each other well and if they can't find commonality then all bets are off, especially if money or power is involved. Just human nature I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.