nomoreofme74

May 10, 2022
uk
hi I have a sharp vz-2000 everything else is now working fine, recently I changed the tape deck belts and fm wasn't working,L W and MW bands are working fine, but on FM I get the hissing sound but nothing,i checked the external rod switch on the back and its switched to rod, that seem to be the only issue left to sort with boombox,i hope someone could help

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Wash the tuner board down with Isopropyl alcohol using a paint brush and dry with a fan heater.

nomoreofme74

May 10, 2022
uk
thank you hopey ive sprayed with switch cleaner but didn't make a difference, ill give that a try with Isopropyl alcohol, thank you again

Superduper

Member (SA)
If the isopropyl removes any insulation or varnish from the coils, the board is most likely done for. Also if any of the copper rf coils get deformed in the process, you’ve just shifted the alignment. And you know all those areas with wax? Even changing the position of those capacitors or transistors can affect the alignment somewhat, it’s why they are set in wax after alignment. Generally speaking, if cleaning the switches with deoxit doesn’t restore it, then it probably has a circuit failure in the tuner. Those can be fixed with parts replacement, but if you mess up the alignment , it’s gonna cost a lot more. Oh and if you ruin any of those transformer coils, chances of getting replacement coils is very grim.