Nice Little Battery Tip

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Fatdog said:
oldskool69 said:
Uncle Ed said:
I save these and then glue them together, since I'm a cheap bastard.

[ Image ]
And with what you've been known to be full of you should have a never ending supply! :-P :w00t: :lol: :-P :w00t: :lol: :tease:
Freddie, I think you are mistaking Uncle Ed for redbenjoe. ;-) :-P :-D

Apologies to our fine UE duly noted. Your wisdom is quite correct on this issue! But both should be commended for not "dumping" more rubbish ino our lanfills and recycling!!! (Especially Ira since paper is a "wood" product!) :lol: :tease: :-P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
Funny things, those OEM tubes..... many people thought they were "FILLERS" and chunked them in the trash without thinking or reading the MANUAL...... silly rabbits

I like em and I use em - excellent topic

G :breakdance:

bibox

Member (SA)
Aug 22, 2010
bOsToN, i.e. MaSsHoLe
Gluecifer said:
Great mod Gluecifer. Early transistor radios had these as well. There was some benefit if the batteries leaked as old-style cells were prone to do. The leak was contained (mostly) in the tube. The only downside to the tube is if you pull one end out before you are ready for it and the tube is pointing down. Batteries will come shooting out like an automatic grenade-launcher. (I can't be the only one that's happened to!) It is still a great mod and kudos for tracking down poly sheet stock. I've been looking for that to use on another project. Never would have checked a fabric store.

:thumbsup:

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
Funny posts, when I read sinister's I lost my soda through the nose, almost taxed my laptop.
These battery packs, or tubes, were standard among most manufacturers in the preboombox portable days (or as bibox posted...transistors). Most manufacturers never really used a battery compartment so to speak because the old boxes were simply boxes with no molded battery comopartment. Back in these days they designed an area within the box where the battery would be placed but used tubes to confine the batteries. (Remember the 9volt batteries they would have slack in the wire that the battery clipped into. They would use a piece of sponge to keep the battery from bounding around)
Later on, in the boombox era, as the world of plastics took over (remember the famous line from the 1967 movie The Graduate??? Think about your future in "plastics".....), they began replacing metal, leather and everything else with plastic and eventually a confined and molded battery compartment evolved.
But still when you have to swap 10 batteries at a beach or picnic, you're screwed........it's like jack in the box.......BOINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! The oldschool battery tubes are awesome, it's another revolutionary element of boomboxes
Here's an example of a leather boombox that has the tubes mid to late 60's, not sure?

Here's an example of a modern molded plastic battery compartment from the "Toshiba RT-S983" (WX-1) Boombox.

MKS

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Gluecifer said:
They were standard issue in a few Sanyo boxes, the Big Ben and 9998 come to mind but I'll bet there were more.
I have a few B&O mono's and a Beosystem 10 (1985), the only portable stereo they ever made, btw they are all really nice radios :thumbsup:

Every one came with a battery tube like the one describedin the first post :yes:

Darece01

Member (SA)
Sep 17, 2012
Louisville
I believe I've seen the same thing done with the cardboard tubes from either paper towels or bathroom tissue. Not as nice as your solution but a good temporary substitute.