Status
Not open for further replies.

5250ls

Member (SA)
Feb 10, 2023
France
16760407019108807555801619887440.jpg

Hello everyone!
Just cleaned this beauty found in a garage sell...
Everything is working fine including tape (original belt! Amazing...) but none of the rear entries are good (rca phono and din rec play)
I have cleaned all contacts (kff2) including that very long switch connected to the rec mechanism, resolder all input sockets, check all components (eyes only, very clean inside, no abuse seen, I think I'm the first to go inside)
-Phono input only make horrible scratch noises...
-Din input work but at a very low level, not even enough to excite the leds on vu meter...
Of course I have trying differents sources...
Every other functions working great, rec, vu meter, beautifull and powerfull sound, mics, dial lights...not even a bad noise in tape transport!
I'm in love with this unit and want to save it, especially because I was born on may 1981 and this was built in june 1981...almost the same
Oh I'm from France (please excuse my not perfect english) and glad to be accepted in this great forum!
Any help will be greatly apprecied...
Thank you so much in advance...

16760435061934794136449262083916.jpg

Last edited: Today at 4:39 PM

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
The DIN is working fine. DIN scale is a German audio signal standard that differs by a few decibels and will only sound right if you feed it with another DIN compatible unit.

5250ls

Member (SA)
Feb 10, 2023
France
Thank you for your reply, hope you are right, in fact I have used a new DIN / JACK cable adapter to test it and that was the result...for phono entry I have used an RCA / JACK cable adapter, new also, connected to my phone with volume at the minimum, because I know phono input should be very low, but just noise coming as I say...so increase volume a little bit, but just noise increase...after that I have linked it trough the line out of another radio but the same thing happen...I know phono is for phono but I'm remember doing that years ago on another appliance and that working well (earphones out to phono in, again with volume at the lowest) maybe something is fried? really hope no..
I was so happy to have the chance to record some cassettes with music files which are on my phone...now I think I was too hurry and maybe doing bad thing...if I had used stereo to double mono jack adapter through "mic in" it can be ok do you think? I haven't even thinking of that before......

5250ls

Member (SA)
Feb 10, 2023
France
Thank you for the advice!
Once I find a way to fix the phono entry I will try this.
If someone have an idea to where is the faulty component it will be great....
I think it's something between phono socket and pre amp but I don't know what...I'll check the capacitors in the path but thinking more about something like a transistor or a chip but it is far beyond my knowledge in electronics, which is basically visual check, cleaning contacts and replacement of visually fried component or bad caps, and in this case all components seems good to my eyes with no trace of heat or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.