Need advice for an AIWA TPR-968

Funkateer38

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2017
Need advice for an AIWA TPR-968: Decided to start changing the belts from the common MD-1 system to that of the AIWA TPR-990. Now I stuck to take out the cassette player, all the screws are removed but the block does not come. One or one of you to make this belt change please? Thank you in advance

Attachments

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Once top part of the deck is removed or loose and to one side, the bottom gear mechanism should pull out separately, wires permitting.
The only way to change those belts is to have that gear mechanism completely out of the chassis.
There is a thin wire lever runs down one side which I think is for eject or record, cant remember, which needs to be disengaged.
The bar which the deck door attaches to needs to be held in the closed position to allow the gear mechanism to lift out as this is attached to it and if left to be open will stop the gear mechanism from pulling out.
You should disconnect all wiring and free up as much loose wiring as possible then the top part of the deck can be worked on without completely removing it.
Also, if it is like the 990, there is a pcb attached to the gear mechanism with leaf switches on it. Remove it/undo the wiring as this allows you to see into the back to see if the lever on the front of the gear mechanism is moving freely because if it is stuck/trapped it can cause the gear mechanism to not pull out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Funkateer38

Funkateer38

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2017
Thank you for your help in removing the block from the cassette player. The belts are changed but each time the power is turned on, I have the fuse resistor which burns out but the cassette player works. But there is a difference in the service manual between R164 and R165.
On the PCB plate indicates R165 (see photo of the replaced fuse resistor) but in the documentation the position indicates R164. An idea ?

Attachments

Funkateer38

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2017
I changed C166, M1 and M2 electric motors independently checked and working. But R165 continues to burn out when the play button is pressed.