im at about the 9 year mark but still no m90
selling buying selling all for the m90
next year Is my year

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wow, congrats Chris!
If you want to restore the original blue shade on the woofers, I could help you get some custom-blended paint from Michaels.
Then you've got Trommel's metal knobs, Eric's chrome tweeter crosshairs, yadda yadda....

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
It doesn't get any better than this! After all this time there can be non more deserving, I feel you may be Best Buddies For Life from now on so settle down to a happy future together. Good for you, Sir! :rock: :clap: :hooray:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Finally the BEAST you have been waiting for. Great job to both of you.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Can't wait to see a video of it in action! Just fired mine up with a fresh set of D's. Playing FM Attack and that almost always hits the number 6 on the M90 volume dial. It's sitting on the stove and I can feel the ceramic tile floor thumping with the bass on the other side in the dining room. The warmth of the bottom end is truly amazing in the right atmosphere. Most all my boxes sound good in the kitchen. I have to dial down the highs or I get fatigued with this box. My others can't produce as crisp of highs so I have to remember this is another animal and respect it. If I am not careful it will leave my ears ringing with ambient (white noise) in my hearing for hours after a session with it.

The M90s are no joke. They'll leave you deaf if you jam up close too much over 3 or 4 on the dial in an enclosed room of your house.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Transistorized said:
Can't wait to see a video of it in action! Just fired mine up with a fresh set of D's. Playing FM Attack and that almost always hits the number 6 on the M90 volume dial. It's sitting on the stove and I can feel the ceramic tile floor thumping with the bass on the other side in the dining room. The warmth of the bottom end is truly amazing in the right atmosphere. Most all my boxes sound good in the kitchen. I have to dial down the highs or I get fatigued with this box. My others can't produce as crisp of highs so I have to remember this is another animal and respect it. If I am not careful it will leave my ears ringing with ambient (white noise) in my hearing for hours after a session with it.

The M90s are no joke. They'll leave you deaf if you jam up close too much over 3 or 4 on the dial in an enclosed room of your house.
Transisterized, This thread isn’t about your M90, it’s about Chris’s. There are plenty of threads on here already about your Conion and m90.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hey everyone, again, thank you (as always) for the up lifting words. This thing still has my head spinning.

I really had come to the conclusion that I would never have one. Like JustCruisin, I was fine with it. But I'm not gonna lie, seeing blu_fuz dealing in M90's like a drug dealer from Miami Vice has been a little tough :lol: . Watching people trade away their "Extra M90's" has hurt a bit. And actually seeing what $500 gets you off eBay made me want to :sick: .

So, yeah, I consider myself luck as **** to have it in the collection.

And the work begins. Even before this radio arrived, I purchased a copy of the service manual from Analog Alley and prepared to service the deck.

IMG-20190318-WA0139.jpeg

But because this is seriously over my pay grade, I have been chatting with DOCS. Together we have been going through the components one by one on the deck PC board and it looks like we may have found the culprit. parts have been ordered and soon we will find out!

I am very confident we will get the deck dialed in, as it's very clean, all the components move freely and it doesn't look like it's been molested in it's life time, which is always good.

More to come.

nikonfoo said:
well done Chris
I am still waiting
im at about the 9 year mark but still no m90
selling buying selling all for the m90
next year Is my year
I would think a Victor would fall into your hands, but I know they still go for good money in Japan.

Reli said:
Wow, congrats Chris!
If you want to restore the original blue shade on the woofers, I could help you get some custom-blended paint from Michaels.
Then you've got Trommel's metal knobs, Eric's chrome tweeter crosshairs, yadda yadda....
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if I'm going to go any further in the clean up. It's a really nice original box. I may just leave it as a survivor and not overly restore it. But who knows.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Hisrudeness said:

Transisterized, This thread isn’t about your M90, it’s about Chris’s. There are plenty of threads on here already about your Conion and m90.
I agree Rudy. While I see how you would view it that way, it was not intended as such. I was sharing a common interest with a fellow M90 owner while providing my own experiences.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I'm not sure if I'm going to go any further in the clean up. It's a really nice original box. I may just leave it as a survivor and not overly restore it. But who knows.
That was my approach as well Chris.

Also, I noticed that you had mentioned that you had diagnosed your cassette deck and had parts on order. From what I have heard on these, the resistor style fuse fails at the top of the board and causes the PCB circuit to go open causing the deck to go dead. If all else looks good, I am very confident that you will have a 100% working box. As mentioned before in my previous post, I can't wait to see it back together (hopefully a video) with a big smile on your face. My experience seems to indicate that it certainly will. Heck even looking at it knowing that it's finally in your possession I am sure will bring a smile on its own :-)

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :drool:

Well done on all counts because these are worth it in every sense.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Transistorized said:
I'm not sure if I'm going to go any further in the clean up. It's a really nice original box. I may just leave it as a survivor and not overly restore it. But who knows.
That was my approach as well Chris.

Also, I noticed that you had mentioned that you had diagnosed your cassette deck and had parts on order. From what I have heard on these, the resistor style fuse fails at the top of the board and causes the PCB circuit to go open causing the deck to go dead. If all else looks good, I am very confident that you will have a 100% working box. As mentioned before in my previous post, I can't wait to see it back together (hopefully a video) with a big smile on your face. My experience seems to indicate that it certainly will. Heck even looking at it knowing that it's finally in your possession I am sure will bring a smile on its own :-)
I have been working closely with DOCS, he has been walking me through testing each component and indeed we did find at least one of these fusible resistors burns and reading the wrong values. DOCS suggested replacing them all (4), so those are the pieces that have been ordered. Because I have shipping issues here in Italy AND the seller was in the UK, DOCS was kind enough to order them for me and will forward them on. Fingers crossed. I'm very confident this deck will run again as it is in exceptional condition inside.

Gluecifer said:
Top rockin, Chris!!
The longest journeys have the sweetest rewards.

Rock On.
You are so right Glu, nice to see you on the boards.

docs said:
Yeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :drool:

Well done on all counts because these are worth it in every sense.
Yes man, and I really appreciate your help. Some serious hours have already been spent. So I owe you!

hardmen said:
Congrats Chris.
It's a Must Have to every collector for sure...

Cheers...
It is, but it's not the easiest to reach.

Again, to everyone one on this site. It's been one hell of a journey and I really have appreciated all the amazing folks I have spoken with here and face to face. You all ROCK! :rock:

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
The fusible resistor for the solenoid was frying up on mine. I remember turning it on and watching the solenoid stay engaged solid, as my finger could feel the resistor get too hot to touch after about 2-3 seconds. It shouldn't stay engaged longer than a second or so, it draws a lot of power and may be why the fusible resistor is there.

If memory serves, in my case I think it was because the opto-sensor couldn't get a reflection off the drive gear, and was unable to tell when the drive gear was in the reset position and is time to disengage the solenoid.