National RX-CW54F Boombox - Help Needed

Tintin1982

Aug 18, 2021
Calcutta, India
Hello Everyone,

I was recently doing some house cleaning in my old house where I used to live and found my old National RX-CW54F Boombox. Unfortunately, I could only find one of it's speakers. It was kept on top of an old cupboard and sadly covered in dust. I brought it down and gave it a nice vacuum blow and then wiped it clean. Luckily inside the battery chamber I found the old cord tucked away. Took it, said my prayers and plugged the system into the power socket. As soon as I hit the "TAPE" button the Power icon lit up red and I was actually amazed that the system powered on because at least 20 years had elapsed since it was last used!

Since I didn't find both the speakers I used the 3.5mm headphone out port in front of main system to connect a 3.5mm to RCA out cable and connected the cable to my powered Edifier R1700BT (2.0) speakers.

After patiently trying all the options on the deck here is what I got:

Tape 1: Play button works. Rewind works. Fast Forward does not work. If I insert a cassette it plays but the system produces no sound.

Tape 2 : Does not work. None of the functions. The supply reel on the cassette doesn't turn at all.

Radio: FM is working and the local radio stations are being broadcast. The reception is scratchy but at least it's working and I can get some music out of it which felt really great! Almost all of my mid to high school years, played so many cassettes and enjoyed music on this system!

At this point I have a few questions:

1. This system was actually given to me by my cousin in the year 1994. His parents had bought it from Singapore sometime in the early-1980's when they had gone for a holiday but he isn't sure of the year as he was too young. Can someone please tell me when these particular Boomboxes were manufactured by National?

2. Is there a way I can improve the radio reception? The sound has quite a bit of crackle associated to it for most stations even though the FM Stereo red light glows a solid red on tuning into the stations. Is this because of the fact that the player was lying unused for such a long period of time and the circuit boards are not working as they should?

3. Since I could not find the default AFD speakers can I attach different speakers to the back Spring Clip Terminals of the system? I noticed that near the back spring clips of the main system it is written that it accepts Speakers with Impedance of 3-8 Ohms. Also, on the 1 AFD Speaker I found this was written on the back of the speaker:

Impedance: 3 Ohm
Peak Input 15W

Now, I do have a pair of Micca MB42 speakers and a pair of Logitech sattelite speakers from an old Logitech Z-5500D system which I no longer use lying idle, so I was wondering if I could connect either pair to this system?

The Micca MB42 has the following specifications:

Woofer: 4″ Carbon Fiber Cone with Rubber Surround
Frequency Response: 60Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 4-8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 85dB 1W/1M
Power Handling: 75 Watts (Each)

The Logitech speakers are rated at: 3" Woofers at 62w RMS @ 8 Ohm

The other option I have is getting a pair of small MICCA COVO-S speakers with the following specifications:

Woofer: Shielded 3” Wool Paper Cone with Rubber Surround
Tweeter: 0.75” PEI Dome
Crossover: 6dB/Octave
Enclosure: Ported Cabinet
Frequency Response: 90Hz-20kHz (Typical In-Room)
Impedance: 6-8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 83dB 1W/1M
Power Handling: 50W Max (Each)

Will any of the above 3 speaker options work or am I better off using the 3.5mm Headphone Out jack with a set of powered speakers?

I would be grateful to someone who can guide me and answer the above questions.

And here are a couple of photographs of the system:

(The Tablet is connected to an entirely different audio system in the above photograph).

Thank-you

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Your boombox is a good one although from what you have described there is a lot of steps to make it fully working again. The output of the boxes matches the original speakers which may a have been up to 90db which are more efficient than the one's you have suggested although more powerful. If you use these speakers you could damage the amp chip as you will want to turn it up louder than with the OG speakers. The Static in the radio reception can be a high resistant joint in the aerial connection or the tuner pot or the mode switch. It's probably worth finding another one that is complete and in better condition then you can swap the good parts and have a complete working radio.

Reactions: Tintin1982

Tintin1982

Aug 18, 2021
Calcutta, India
Your boombox is a good one although from what you have described there is a lot of steps to make it fully working again. The output of the boxes matches the original speakers which may a have been up to 90db which are more efficient than the one's you have suggested although more powerful. If you use these speakers you could damage the amp chip as you will want to turn it up louder than with the OG speakers. The Static in the radio reception can be a high resistant joint in the aerial connection or the tuner pot or the mode switch. It's probably worth finding another one that is complete and in better condition then you can swap the good parts and have a complete working radio.
Thank-you for your reply, appreciate your input regarding this.

I think I'll have to give this to a Boombox/ Hi-fi systems repair shop locally so that they can service it fully but I doubt they will be able to get the parts now. Since I'm in India the only way to even get the parts, if available will be importing them from abroad.

For now I guess I'll just use the radio and connect the speakers from the 3.55mm front headphone audio out port... hope that is safe to do?

Also, can you please tell me when these RX-CW54 Boomboxes were made by National?