National Panasonic RX-5150 - I have some issues & I need some direction to resolve those issues

rockarolla70

Dec 18, 2020
India, Bangalore.
Hi all,
I own a National Panasonic RX-5150 since 1982 (pic attached). However from past few months I have a few issues & I need some help from folks here.

Issues on hand.
1) Tape works fine, but after some time the tape slows down a bit (momentarily) and comes back after a while. This happens quite often.
- I have got it serviced with a known guy & he states that the head & pinch roller are perfectly fine & the motor might be an issue.
- New belts have been replaced.

2) When I switch on, the power LED comes up without any issue. However when I play the tapes rest of the LED lights does not function (including the LED for the TPS)

3) My TPS function has stopped working, though it is not a major problem but I would like to get that working too.

This might be a overkill but, I don't mind replacing pinch rollers, head, quality belts & the motor (whatever the cost maybe). The reason is, I have great deal of sentiments connected with this boombox which was given to me by my father who is no more. So I wish this stay with me in & functions completely.

I would be greatly obliged if folks here can guide me where to buy new motors, belts, pinch roller & tape head. Price is not criteria at all, I stay in India but I buy a lot of stuff on ebay & I can get these shipped to India or to friends who are in US and get it here eventually. Any lead on where to sources these required parts is highly appreciated in advance.

Regards,
Krishna.

Attachments

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
You can service the existing motor which may fix some issues. The belts maybe to tight.