my usual problem...with a 931

Status
Not open for further replies.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
guys-

need some quick input if you would. my 931 has a dead right channel, hoping not a major problem.
here's the situation:

speakers are tested and fine
headphones have both right and left at full volume in stereo and mono with radio, phono or tape.
ext right speaker dead when i plug in
cleaned balance and volume pots pretty well, not sticky and they seem responsive.
top deck is a bit funky, works off and on
bottom deck is fine
metal band switch is broken inside but still picks up FM fine.

any advice appreciated before i start unsoldering every GD thing... :drool:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Don't forget to deoxit function switch has solved many a problem for me with uneven or dead channels! :yes: :yes: :yes:

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Johnny said:
Don't forget to deoxit function switch has solved many a problem for me with uneven or dead channels! :yes: :yes: :yes:
Or you could flip it back and forth like a madman, cussing and fuming until the damn thing works or it falls off..... works for me! :annoyed:

:lol:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
You might also check the speaker output jack. Try connecting an external speaker and if it works then the contact in the jack isn't working correctly, a little deoxit may help but you might have to take the back cover off and clean or repair it. If the little spring contact is broken or covered in crud it won't make contact making it appear the channel is dead.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I have had this prob before, try squirting some of that spray in the headphone socket then work the headphone jack in out of the socket about 60 times real fast if it dosent work try again, there is a switch in the socket that gets faulty over time, good luck blah blah

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
mostly the speaker are tied to phone jack some have resistors on the jack some are on the boards to reduce the power level for headphone use, plus you have speakers output jacks to which are hooked in the same fashion,, if you use your headphones and can hear both channels fine then you may have a faulty speaker output jack or a bad solder joint on that jack you have to look at it very carefully like look at the traces where the jack is solderd you can plug in a speaker in the jack and try to wiggle it just a bit see if it trys to make contact ,, and remeber not all the time contact cleaner works in most situation if the jack is very badly corroded then it needs to be deep clean but i prefur to replace the jack if its not solder related if it is solder related then remove the old solder and replace with new fresh solder,, and do not be surprized as i have seen a lot of lasonics with shitty solder joints so you may want to start there and just solder that jack and see what happens :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Yes! it is fixed!!
ended up being a very filthy headphone jack on the right channel, i had to de-solder, disassemble and clean forever, but once put back in sounded great!!

i am so pleased i about p*ssed myself.

thanks again for the help! (except you rimmer....your tip would never have worked) :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.