My Telefunken Studio M1 is burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would definitely try to power up on 12V DC.

Let us see what happens. Be EXTRA careful about polarity. Double check before you connect.
Then we can isolate it to AC to DC power supply failure. :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
BoomboxLover48 said:

Let us see what happens. Be EXTRA careful about polarity. Double check before you connect.
On his very first post, (post #1), he already indicated that the burning smell was present on AC or Batteries. The failure to power up now is probably related to the burning smell which, presumably whatever was heating up is now toast.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Superduper said:

On his very first post, (post #1), he already indicated that the burning smell was present on AC or Batteries. The failure to power up now is probably related to the burning smell which, presumably whatever was heating up is now toast.
My mistake! I didn't see that. Oh my!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
BoomboxLover48 said:
Bill reminded me a new word "snobby" :-D :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hardly used it...

Now what is the current situation with the box?

I never had any problem like that with a box.

Possibly this could be from the AC to DC power supply circuit.

I would sniff around.. and look for any charred areas.

I would try to make it work on 12V DC and see if things go well.

Here is a good link ...https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/9484-issue-with-telefunken-hifi-studio-1-power-supply/

~Royce
Ha! I see what you did there - current situation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I'll get my coat..................................................)

IVH

Member (SA)
Jul 4, 2016
Bonsoir fellow frenchman,
Just my 2 cents. Wouldn't it be a good idea to connect it to AC and then check everything with a voltmeter (from the power supply up to the remaining of the box)?
That would be a good start I think, but again, that's just my opinion.
Salutations,
inse.

PS: I will be careful with 'hello' too from now on, never thought about it this way ;)

stevenrob

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
France, North
Bonsoir, je suis toujours dans la merde, but I have found a guy who can help me. I'm going to buy parts to repair the telefunken. I'll give some news.
I hope I will be able to repair it because it is almost mint condition.
Now, I'm going to bed

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I had to put my 1M aside, as it needs so much work and I have so little time. Glad to see you're sticking with it. I'm finding those gray ECCOM caps are pretty bad. I pulled few (7 total) from mine in random spots to check them. Every single one was pretty well out-of-spec. That's when I decided I'd come back to it in the Spring.
Yup - I plan on doing a wholesale re-cap. I know a lot of guys frown upon a full re-cap, but if they're all bad, they're bad and they ain't coming back to life. :ghost:

Would you mind posting a detailed pic of the power switch, if you have the front open? The wrong switch is installed in mine and I'm lucky it didn't burn the house down. I can't find a part number for it and I'm hellbent on getting it sorted sooner or later.

stevenrob

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
France, North
Hello,

I have tested : the amplifier seems to be OK :-) . A cool guy from Sri Lanka, Dilshan Jayakody, is also helping me, he's very patient :yes:
The 2 vu-meter only works with tape deck, not with radio, but I think it is normal.

There is a problem with light bulbs of the 2 vu-meter : I have removed the light bulbs because they were dead. there is + and - (look at photo) but there is electricity on + and - too. I have study the service manual (I have tried). The 314 is the + of the lights bulbs and the 315 is -. The 314 and 315 plug to M414 and M415 on the amplifier board. But there is electricity coming from M415 and it is not normal.

Now, I wait for a new spring for the tape deck (a factory will make exactly the same for me but it is expensive for a peace of iron 30 usd :jawdrop: ).

I would like to put a little spring. If someone has a photo.

For Superlew : it is ok for you ?

Attachments

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Thanks, stevenrob - That's perfect!
Now to source a replacement. I'm heading to FL for a little while, so I'll get back to it when I return.
Again, thank you. You just posted the best pic of the switch on the whole internet - and, from what I've heard, the internet is pretty big. :w00t:

IVH

Member (SA)
Jul 4, 2016
Concerning the VU meters, on some boxes they don't act as VU meters when it is set to radio. But as signal strength meters :)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The VU's on the Telefunken only work when the deck is playing or recording

stevenrob

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
France, North
Hi,

you're right ! It is strange. I'm a newbie in lectronic, so I change a lot of capacitors. I hope I could repair the problem of lights.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I thought it might be part of the deck, but it's not.

I'm pretty sure it's a variation of this bracket.:
20170312_083330.jpg

It secures the front of the large board for the deck. It looks like your version clears the grounded plate above and secures to the front plate of the amp/pre-amp.:
SANY1115.1.jpg

I've noticed several design variations across the HiFi Studio spectrum as I've been following other threads while I work on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.