My little M70 project

bergsprängare

May 22, 2020
Sweden
I just got myself a JVC RC-M70L the other day. It's a long time since I had a classic boom box.

I think it is in good shape. It works with batteries and line power. The sound is good and strong, though sometimes a bit of crackle when sliding the volume controls and sometimes the left channel drops out after a volume adjustment but an extremely tiny extra nudge of the volume slider brings it right back and good. Cassette playing/FWD/REW/MSS works fine, haven't tried recording quality. Radio works fine with FM, haven't tried the other bands. DIN REC/PB input works fine (when I understood that REC on the cassette deck has to be on for any useful volume). Phono input works fine. There is a small mod with blue LED lighting of the VU meters, it's OK with me. I have no idea how the mod was done, but the seller told me that everything original was kept in case it should be un-modded again.
Today I bought a Bluetooth cassette adapter and tested with the M70 and I'm surprised and very impressed with the quality of the sound (of the adapter). The adapter brand and model is "Linocell 97252".

Things to do:
* It needs cleaning. I found an old post with an illustrated step-by-step disassembly/reassembly guide on the stereo2go forum, it seems helpful for this task.
* One of the antennas is not well, the base swivels around freely and the top part of the extensions come loose. I think I need a replacement. Not sure how much disassembly is needed to replace it if I get hold of a good antenna.
* The radio tuning frequency indicator is glitchy. It is a bit off to the right compared to the actual tuner frequency, and it also has a problem that it often does not want to "follow" the tuning when going to the left, it get's stuck and then it get's picked up again when the tuning "passes" it in the right direction. The "sticking" point is not in the same place every time.
* Test cassette recording, I need some empty cassette though...

Things to maybe do:
* Get a (replica) carrying strap that I see are available.

Things to maybe maybe do:
* A repaint job with a nice color scheme that I've seen others have done. Maybe not, because it is actually in really good cosmetic shape except that it needs cleaning.
* A "hidden" LED mod of the speakers like the GhettoLED mod I've seen by Dancorp. Maybe maybe, for when I have lots of time and need a fun project.
* Some kind of built-in bluetooth support on the REC/PB line-in, without the need for a cassette adapter and powered though the normal (battery/mains) means. No hurry really, works fine now with DIN cable or bluetooth cassette adapter.

If you are curious about the machine , feel free to ask and I'll answer as good as I can. If you have any advice for me it is very welcome.