My B-B-B-BOOM Room - Phase 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Daaaaaaaamn :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I'm a little late to the party but that is so much work !!! I am stunned and a little embarassed, I got a contractor in from work recently to do my shelves as i was nervous of putting so many boxes on shelves i had fitted and i consider myself pretty handy !!!

I can't beleive you A: did so much work and B: Have that many boxes

There are some great iconic boxes in there to, stunning. Like GZ said we just need a pic of you with a boomer now to put a face to the enigma. Well done on such an amazing job.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Dear me, there's a lot of compliments for me to digest, I tend to live a somewhat quiet life and now I have all this attention - many, MANY thanks to you all! :blush: :-) :thumbsup:

I now have a Sanyo M9990 on the way as well as another Sharp GF-9000 although I'll be gifting the GF-9000 to another member - but only after I've drooled over it myself for a few days! :-D :lol:

Building up my collection and constructing the shelving have both been a slow burning passion, "I don't like to rush things at my age" is the best way I can explain my approach as I seem to think twice and act once these days. Like I said previously, I didn't find it an easy job, it was quite physically demanding so it was a bit at a time over three weeks rather than the weekend you guy's would probably take with a job like this. :yes: ;-)

Having re-read the comments so far, I've looked again at the shelving and I think I've even surprised myself with the results. :yes: The scary thing is, I've now set a standard for myself that I have to maintain - GULP! :-O :w00t: That all being said, you guys have shown some very impressive displays I admire greatly and, with this inspiration, I felt I had to try my utmost to do the best I could (YouTube vids and DIY manuals deserve a their share of credit too). Tomorrow I'll finish off the little painting that's left to do, namely the skirting boards and around the window but I have a question you guys could help me out with: when I paint, is it good practice or customary to splash spots of white paint on my BB's or not, huh? :-D :-D :-D :lol: :lol: :lol:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Nickeccles said:
Wow!

Superb job! I have wonderful little windowless room, perfect for this but am unable to shelve like that even before I became ill..............Anyone want to do my room?? lol
Go for it if you're able to or have a friend willing to help. I mean, it's not as if I built a huge wall-to-wall bookcase and then moved it into place as all I did was handle small lightweight parts and put them together in situ (just like child's bricks or a jigsaw puzzle).

If you're concerned about the risk of damaging your wall as you may not be experienced then practice drilling into a spare brick (if this is what your wall is made from) outside and so become familiar with the process of selecting the correct drill bit/plug/screw combination or......learn from a friend if you can. The key is the planning, good planning produces a good result. I would imagine that my shelving may have doubled in price had I got a professional in for the work so a bit of DIY can save quite a lot of money. If there's a health reason holding you back then see if you can 'trade' the work/skills with someone who may be more able or skilled and needs a little help themselves that you could provide? Good luck, I wish you every success.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
One of my tasks this Christmas is to put up some more boombox shelves over the fireplace in my work room. I'm using 9" by 2" solid wood so they'll be really hefty! Total cost will be nowt as I'm using wood given to me by a friendly neighbour...he's a plasterer and there's lots of clean new wood being chucked so he's bringing it all to me for firewood as he spotted that I'd had a woodburner stove fitted the other day. This wood is way to good to chop up though!

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
Excellent, excellent work there, it´s very motivational to see someone´s boom room wall or a nice setup, gives me a good feeling and smile on face as well. :yes: :thumbsup: :drool:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
MyOhMy said:
Dear me, there's a lot of compliments for me to digest, I tend to live a somewhat quiet life and now I have all this attention - many, MANY thanks to you all! :blush: :-) :thumbsup:

I now have a Sanyo M9990 on the way as well as another Sharp GF-9000 although I'll be gifting the GF-9000 to another member - but only after I've drooled over it myself for a few days! :-D
Oh your so sweet and thank you as I've been really wanting a Sharp GF9000/GF535 :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
baddboybill said:

I now have a Sanyo M9990 on the way as well as another Sharp GF-9000 although I'll be gifting the GF-9000 to another member - but only after I've drooled over it myself for a few days! :-D
Oh your so sweet and thank you as I've been really wanting a Sharp GF9000/GF535 :-)
:hmmm:....... :hmmm:..................... :hmmm: ................... :sadno: :-D :lol: :lol: :lol:

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Wow! 35 boxes in less than what, a year and a half?
Now that is a level of passion that builds gorgeous shelving for them! Well done MoM! Ever since you joined you've been a shining star with your helpfulness, wisdom and grace.
I had a suspicion there were than just a few boxes, you've posted a lot of comments that seemed to be too knowledgeable without actually owning said model ;-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
caution said:
Wow! 35 boxes in less than what, a year and a half?
Now that is a level of passion that builds gorgeous shelving for them! Well done MoM! Ever since you joined you've been a shining star with your helpfulness, wisdom and grace.
I had a suspicion there were than just a few boxes, you've posted a lot of comments that seemed to be too knowledgeable without actually owning said model ;-)
Hiya, I have 35 BB's on display in the Boom Room but I actually have a further 19 (-ish, I have to go walkabout around the house to find them) with another 2 already on the way and.....................I also have other 'audio items' to display. Some of this will easily display on Phase 2 of my Boom Room but I'll need additional shelving & display means to accommodate the rest (tastefully) whilst future proofing further acquisitions. :yes:

BoomboxLover48 said:
Holy Moly! Holy Christine! Good job! :rock:
I need 10 walls like that to barely fill my collection of boomboxes alone.
Ah, if only I had the same problem! Space is limited for me as I live in a small bungalow , I need to plan very carefully for best effect.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
WOW M.O.M. I have'nt been on here much lately,but what a sight to to come back to! Great looking display, and what a huge collection! I had no idea you had so many boomboxes either, lookin good M.O.M., RESPECT.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks for the kind words, SLO. The most difficult part was the planning, the worst was the blisters from the screwdriver and the hardest work was putting the boxes on the shelves as all the rest was like putting a large jigsaw together. Phase 2 has me scratching my head a bit though, I know how I'd like it to be but need to work out the easiest & simplest way for me to get the result I'm looking for.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
good planning goes a long way but I have learned that sometimes just starting gets you motivated enough to get a game plan together.

My bosch jig saw is my most prized tool I could do anything with that saw.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MyOhMy said:
Thanks for the kind words, SLO. The most difficult part was the planning, the worst was the blisters from the screwdriver and the hardest work was putting the boxes on the shelves as all the rest was like putting a large jigsaw together. Phase 2 has me scratching my head a bit though, I know how I'd like it to be but need to work out the easiest & simplest way for me to get the result I'm looking for.
What is phase 2? A second room? Another shelving unit.

This is still such an impressive build and display. Love it.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
What is phase 2? A second room? Another shelving unit.

This is still such an impressive build and display. Love it.
The next phase is the lower level beneath the long shelving, I'm planning a full width low level unit with sliding doors, drawers, space for speakers at each end so I can then place other audio items on top that will have enough clearance to the lowest shelf already fitted.

The cunning plan is to convert two items of furniture into a single unit. I have an electrical socket in this area (under the lowest shelf) so whatever design I settle with with be a tight squeeze with little room for error. For the sliding doors part I bought a low level 1960's piece of furniture from a charity shop and the drawers will be taken from an old drawer unit given to me. All I really need to make is the housing for the drawers (all four drawers will be side-by-side) then place the low level unit on top along with a speaker housing (simple box construction) at each end. Once a full width counter type top is in place over it, it ought to look pretty good (gulp!). All this has to be a maximum of 2ft (600mm) high as that's all the space I have before reaching the wall socket - it's a tight squeeze!

Today I came to the conclusion that I need to make three modifications to the long shelves:

1) Insert an extra shelf support bracket at each end of every shelf.
The mistake I made was to place the end bracket at the same spacing from the 'edge/end' wall' the same distance as the other brackets are apart when, in fact, the distance should have been 50% of the bracket spacing from the 'end wall'.

2) Take 1/8"-1/4" (3mm-5mm) off the end of each shelf to allow space for any cables or wiring (antennas, lighting, speaker cables etc.).

3) Cut a central notch out of the rear of each shelf for an FM antenna to pass through to the audio items to be placed on the low-level unit.
I had thought of this previously but had forgotten when I found myself being carried away by the excitement of making the shelves. :bang:

I want to get this first phase right before I commence Phase 2 otherwise there'll be too much stuff in the way but I am definitely not looking forward to hauling all the BB's off the shelves to make the modifications needed (sigh) but I will be pleased once this is done as it's a) needed and b) worthwhile. :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
wow, WOW and DOUBLE WOW!

You have really put some thought it to this. Can't wait to see the next phase. Sounds like a bunch of work.

The Boomroom I have had for the last 5 years is in shambles now. It's going to be a while before I build another one, hopefully a permanent one. I honestly don't know what I am going to do with all my radios in Italy. I don't really want to put them up on shelves as Naples is known for huge earthquakes (says the guy moving from California).

Status
Not open for further replies.