Most Bass

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Pretty sure the bassiest 1-piece is the Mars JH-100, but it's a cheater because they basically took some home audio components and shoved them into a case.

Gnarlyman

Member (SA)
Mar 23, 2018
250 dollars, missing both antennas, plexiglass at the top, volume knob is scratchy and he doesn't know if the tape decks work. It looks a little dusty, but not terrible.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
Crown CSC-850(L) for maximum lows (down to 30Hz and so on) but not so much sheer punch at high volume. Those woofers can move like crazy though.

That thing, when situated right, will give you reeeally pleasant bass department, and is just a joy to listen to. Back in 2015 we were at a cabin and it had a little terrace-like decked space where we grilled. I put the Crown on the lid of a big trash box next to the cabin and let it to its thing. The box was about 2-4 meters away but the bass got really multiplied near the walls and it made quite a sensation.

The stereo wide on it is crazy good too. Just a little bit of extra spaciness and even with a slight bass boost at the same time.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Line Out said:
Crown CSC-850(L) for maximum lows (down to 30Hz and so on) but not so much sheer punch at high volume. Those woofers can move like crazy though.

That thing, when situated right, will give you reeeally pleasant bass department, and is just a joy to listen to. Back in 2015 we were at a cabin and it had a little terrace-like decked space where we grilled. I put the Crown on the lid of a big trash box next to the cabin and let it to its thing. The box was about 2-4 meters away but the bass got really multiplied near the walls and it made quite a sensation.

The stereo wide on it is crazy good too. Just a little bit of extra spaciness and even with a slight bass boost at the same time.
You should try a Crown 980, it's got the same chassis but better amps and speakers.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
^You can just imagine how many times I type "Crown CSC" to eBay search :-P
One badly damaged (but technically working) 980 went for around 70€ + shipping at the start of the week. I made a price proposal of 50€ but no go. And even that felt like it made absolutely no sense, looking at the condition of the box.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I’ll make a video of the Hit
jvc rd md5 beats the dp200, sorry Norn :w00t: :afro: .....jimmy what are you smoking lol....i want some :-P :thumbsup:
I can promise you I’m not high. :-)

Put it this way, if you place the 3D8 on a table that’s positioned in the Centre of a large room, you don’t need to max out the left equalizer slider to get very solid and deep bass. Place the big Hitachi in a corner and wow, the bass is too much!

The RX-DT680 can’t compete for the depth of bass, it propably sounds nicer but it doesn’t provide that deep, deep bass at low volume levels. I can’t think of any other 1 piece box where you feel the need to turn down the bass, not because of distortion but because the low frequencies are overwhelming.

Outdoors in the centre of my backyard, the thing still sounds super bassy. Haven’t heard an RD MD5. I’m sure it sounds better still. :-)
Turn down the bass?????!!!!!! ON A BOOMBOX!???? What r u smoking???!!!
If u feel this way then u probably have no need for a home system, a dedicated subwoofer or anything else HIFI if a small little boombox scares u. 😂😂😂

Superduper

Member (SA)
Sure, crank up the bass all the way to where you don't recognize the original program anymore... That what you call hi-fi? There's today's music and there's music that was produced when most classic boomboxes were sold. Every hi-fi enthusiast want their music reproduced as original, without added coloration. Technically speaking, when the output does not equal the input, it is called sound distortion, some of it unwanted and some of it intentional (like when you shape the sound with an equalizer). Bass isn't everything, and it certainly isn't hi-fi unless the original program material was recorded that way. To some folks, the only thing that matters is the thump thump thump, and the buzzing of fenders and trunk deck lids, and well, that's ok since they probably can't hear the other musical nuances anymore even if they were present. To me, the subtle strike of the cymbals, crystal clear bells, pings of the xylophone, the soul stroking warmth of the cello, the inviting clarity of certain violin pieces, calling of talented vocalists... all of those are equally important to me, probably even more so, simply because it there is so much more to colorful and dynamic music than just bass. But if all you wanna do is max out the bass all of the time on every piece, that's Ok. To each their own. Or, I have an idea, just get one of those weird looking bluetooth wireless speakers, the ones with all monster low hz drivers and one teeny weeny tweet. Couple that with some sound shaper app so you can extract even more bass. You'll be in heaven.

Me, I'm old school, meaning VERY old school and a home system includes stereo speakers, bass from "regular" speakers, not a add-on subwoofer, and components that have brushed aluminum faceplate, glass dials, knobs like jewelry. And when it comes to boomboxes, I had a hard time accepting them but a 1-pc boombox that runs on AC or D cells... best probably a full size kaboom. Unless you own one, you probably have no idea.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Superduper said:
Sure, crank up the bass all the way to where you don't recognize the original program anymore... That what you call hi-fi?
If u can’t recognize the music anymore that’s not a problem of too much bass. That’s a problem of a weak amplifier that clips easily and distorts. That’s different than turning down the bass because u can’t handle the bass decibels produced. And if that’s the case, then as I said before, if u can’t handle the bass from a little boombox, then don’t even think of trying to appreciate a home system. 😂😂.

The rest of your post is a response to a topic no one raised. You wrote a book about bass in a direction no one went. The bottom line is this: if the signal has frequencies within the recording they need to be produced accurately and heard clearly, ESPECIALLY THE BASS which many manufactures too easily discount especially the lowest of the bass frequencies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
No it's not necessarily a clipping amplifier. Could be, but not always.

The concept is simple...….Raise the bass all the way...Does the song sound dramatically different? Of course it does. Swap your speakers for a different brand, does it sound different? Of course it does.

If your EQ settings and speaker choices are making the song sound a lot bassier than what the artist intended, that might be your personal preference, but it isn't "better".

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Reli said:

The concept is simple...….Raise the bass all the way...Does the song sound dramatically different? Of course it does. Swap your speakers for a different brand, does it sound different? Of course it does.

If your EQ settings and speaker choices are making the song sound a lot bassier than what the artist intended, that might be your personal preference, but it isn't "better".
If your boombox can’t reproduce the the low frequencies within a recording to begin with that’s the initial problem. Furthermore, if your boombox can’t output the additional bass desired by the user cleanly that’s an additional problem. Sound should be accurate and able to keep up with demand.

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
To my (then) virgin young ears the Phillips/Magnavox AW7690 had outsize bass. Haven't heard one in over 20 years though.

Also notable is almost any of the crate handle Sharp boomboxes.; QT73CD, WQT360 etc

And of course the Panasonic "Cobras"

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
panabox1 said:

If your boombox can’t reproduce the the low frequencies within a recording to begin with that’s the initial problem. Furthermore, if your boombox can’t output the additional bass desired by the user cleanly that’s an additional problem. Sound should be accurate and able to keep up with demand.
Not talking about just boomboxes, nor am I talking about an inability to "keep up". I'm talking about the fact that if you raise the bass or treble too much, or drop them too low, you're "coloring" the sound to your own subjective preferences. Just because you like it, doesn't mean it's the superior approach. Some people would even say that you altered it so much that it's not being faithful to the original recording.

In fact, if your equalizer is very effective, you could actually eliminate entire instruments or voices from the recording. Or you could push the bass up so high that you can barely hear anything else. And if you did, I reserve the right to my OPINION that it sucks and isn't being faithful to the original recording.

As far as car stereo, today's OEM units have way more bass than they did 20-30 years ago, so it's just not necessary or desirable to max out the bass control anymore. In fact, in most rental cars I end up reducing the bass below the center mark. Car interiors are already very boomy and reflective anyway.

Reactions: neanderthal

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
You're old Reli, Get off my grass!

True to the points of excessive use of Bass on the road. Most of that is to get attention. Also true to adding bass and treble to colorize to taste. Then again, its nice to find a plastic box that can really pump out some deep sound. We need to show those teens who's still in charge. Pump up the bass boys!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Music and the types of machines that play the current day media will ways change over time to support the current day standards. My 50s tube radio has two buttons to change tone. Jazz and Soft because that was mostly what folks were listening to when it was sold...and music has changed a lot since the 70s and 80s. A boombox was made more to be portable, lightweight and mostly affordable. With plastic enclosures you are never going to set any type of world record...but that wasn't the point. Yeah, everyone wanted the loudest with the most bass (as always) but songs with bass were different in the 80s. Take for example MC Hammer, etc.. The bass in those songs are nothing like the bass the current day hip hop music of today has. The 70s and 80s boombox was not intended to produce the bottom end bass that today's music throws down and I wouldn't expect it to. That's like saying a stock 80s Porsche should be able to keep up with todays stock Porsche. Not going to happen. People change and technology changes with it.

For me, I just enjoy listening to the music I grew up with on a period correct device and that's what makes me happy but....I also do enjoy nice warm deep bass and for that I have my JBL extreme. Love it too :-)

isolator42

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Surrey, UK
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Best one piece bass - Hitachi 3D8. The 3D8 beats the RX-DT680 for the depth of bass and quantity of bass.

Styling wise, it’s not what you’re after but IMHO, 3D8 is what other boxes should be compared with if bass is your thing. :-)
While I like this answer a lot :) , IMHO a Kaboom knocks any Hitachi 3D out of the park for bass.

Rimmer36 said:
Set the 100 hz slider to half on the 680 and max out the SBS, the MOST common mistake made is maxing out the 100 hz slider...i had the 3d you say brand new and although nice not a patch on the 680 lol....ahh you say 3d 8 lad, no i had a 3d7 lol...try the 680 trick if you haven't already :-)

and 80's 1 piece m90 is the king, goes without saying lol :cool:
The Hitachi 3D7 & 3D8 both shared the same speakers & amps & so will sound similar. Maybe the larger cabinet in the 3D8 makes some difference... :)

Deputy Dogger

Sep 2, 2019
Wales, UK
While the the 3D8 has good bass, the JVC RD MD5 beats it and the Kaboom hands down, although in my opinion the Sharp GX-M10 knocks them all into the long grass, but doesn't have the required classic old school looks.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The RD-MD5 beats the Kaboom? I'd have to witness that to believe it. JVC says the Kaboom has more power, and bigger subs too. Also, some Kabooms are better than others. Some were weak, but I forgot their model number. All I know is the DP100 and 200 were the best.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Reli my friend the md5 beats the kaboom dp200 at least it has lower bass, it's like the rolls royce of the kaboom
its all done with 4" subs, hearing is believing as for the sharp i didn't like that......the rd5 is mains only though

retroclub

Member (SA)
Jan 25, 2019
I'm enjoying listening to the Sharp GF-8989. I know it's not a massive bass machine, but I am noticing that you can crank it right up without any real breakup. It's also got nice LED's and a classic look :)

Attachments

Deputy Dogger

Sep 2, 2019
Wales, UK
Rimmer36 said:
Reli my friend the md5 beats the kaboom dp200 at least it has lower bass, it's like the rolls royce of the kaboom
its all done with 4" subs, hearing is believing as for the sharp i didn't like that......the rd5 is mains only though
Reno, what didn't you like about the Sharp GX-M10 ?