Montgomery wards 3996A power led

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Mine doesn’t have L version parts but are you sure L version which has extra parts including a resistor on power board isn’t going to help power LED to shut off and my version acts as pilot light with ac on but not in dc mode? I know that Melly states his shuts off but not sure of his version. I actually thought in beginning it was pilot led until Melly said his LED goes off in AC mode

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
You don't have to have those extra parts in order to have pilot light mode, that's coming from the different wiring I circled in blue

If your power LED is tied to switched power, then you still have a short somewhere.
If your power LED is tied to unswitched power, then you have a pilot light and there's nothing wrong with your box

Without a Wards service manual, it's impossible to know how your box is different than the Silver.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
So then you'll have to disconnect one thing at a time from that node. Keep track carefully. Plug it back in to AC between each step until the LED finally shuts off. You need to find where the unswitched power is leaking through to switched power.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I just watched a Youtube video of a Wards 3996A. In his demonstration it is plugged in and power switch is in the off position and the LED is off. Once he powers it on the LED comes on. His functions exactly like mine.
https://youtu.be/rDQovikqtNQ

One thing I just tried Bill...when my 3996A is plugged in but powered off the LED will illuminate if I play the cassette tape. The light goes off when I press stop while powered off.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
caution said:
Awesome!
So it's Mel's box is the one that's broke, not yours
No it’s mine. Melly has the non L model but I was able to remove diode and move jumper lead over to get it to act like power led instead per Norm!!!

mellymelsr said:
I just watched a Youtube video of a Wards 3996A. In his demonstration it is plugged in and power switch is in the off position and the LED is off. Once he powers it on the LED comes on. His functions exactly like mine.

One thing I just tried Bill...when my 3996A is plugged in but powered off the LED will illuminate if I play the cassette tape. The light goes off when I press stop while powered off.
Thank you Melly, figured it out With the help of Norm and Eric thank you again guys appreciate it

yimidi

Dec 7, 2020
Seoul, Korea
Today,
I Found many ST-585's stuffs.
since I have very old ST-858 and ST-868.
But, I have to need repair.
Thank very much ^^
Take care of your health ^^